New emergency "GRAPHIC PHOTOS" HELP!!!!!

No predator! She was fine last night when I checked on them about 9:30 pm. Did not get a chance to check on her this morning. Their coop has been coon proofed, possum proofed, squirrel proofed, varmint proofed. Plus it is wrapped in electrical hot wire to keep predators away. It occurred sometime between 9:30 and 2:30. She is still hanging on. Ate a little bit, moved around a bit. Hard to to tell if she is running a fever because her skin is always warm. Praying she makes it thru the night.

I wouldn't bandage - if there is infection and n there you want it to get out but I would use a lot of a&d ointment keeping it from drying out too fast. I was given a girl by my neighbor who was beaten up as badly and made it they just fine. She no longer has feathers in certain spots but still sweet. I would never put her back in that group again. FYI she had been with those other chick names for years too.

Any idea why all of a sudden she was being picked on? She has been with the same group of girls and and old rooster for about 3 years. Always been the reserved one of the bunch but never picked on. Always got along with the girls and never caused any problems. She was such a beautiful girl and I have faith she will be beautiful once again. One of my daughters show chickens...a grand champion. She is eating which is good.

Is there plenty of room in the coop? They aren't crowded are they? What is the protein % of the feed? Sometimes feather eating is a symptom of not enough protein in diet. Easy to fix, buy higher protein feed. If she was ill, chickens pick on ill birds. Chickens try to hide their illness from you and other birds for this very reason. The other chickens can kill them. They can be cruel like that. May have been what happened. She fell ill and was picked on then feasted on!
Don't cover the wound too much, I've never wrapped a wound like that. A good antibiotic spray would be best to keep infection at bay, If you want to put something over it make sure it can get air. Vetwrap is a pretty good product, but that area would be hard to wrap. Just keep her in a clean place for healing to occur. They can recover from some nasty wounds. Real nasty. But can't put her out with them like that, they will keep eating on her. When you do re introduce her, you may have to leave her in cage a few days for her own safety until they get re adjusted. Pecking order will start all over again.
Make sure you have extra feeders because sometimes too many chickens at one feeder, they get pecked on and those chickens don't go back to the feeder, fall ill, etc. And enough pen space that birds can escape and not develop bad habits out of boredom like feather picking.

Just an update to the original post...my girl made it! A long recovery! She was pampered and a bit spoiled. Her skin and all of her feathers grew back. I wasn't sure if some of them would, especially where her serious injuries were. Amazing! She has her own luxury suite and seems to be satisfied.

No predator! She was fine last night when I checked on them about 9:30 pm. Did not get a chance to check on her this morning. Their coop has been coon proofed, possum proofed, squirrel proofed, varmint proofed. Plus it is wrapped in electrical hot wire to keep predators away. It occurred sometime between 9:30 and 2:30. She is still hanging on. Ate a little bit, moved around a bit. Hard to to tell if she is running a fever because her skin is always warm. Praying she makes it thru the night.
I had something like this happen. Same area, but a different shaped wound. She would have pulled through if I hadn't gotten distracted one day... I think it may be cannibalism.

Back
Top Bottom