***New England Winter - Now this is getting stupid***PICS ADDED

Quote:
Hi there - are you worried about your chickens in -20 degree weather? My coop isn't heated or insulated, although it is pretty tight with respect to draughts. My girls have been fine so far - we've had some -8 degree nights. But tomorrow night's forecast is -18 degrees. I'm wondering if I should try to add some heat?

Quote:
Hi there - are you worried about your chickens in -20 degree weather? My coop isn't heated or insulated, although it is pretty tight with respect to draughts. My girls have been fine so far - we've had some -8 degree nights. But tomorrow night's forecast is -18 degrees. I'm wondering if I should try to add some heat?

Oh that's cold. ack......that might depend on how many birds you have? They can bundle up. I only have 7, and the coop is pretty big.....so I have a heat lamp in there if it goes below 16. I have it on now cause it's supposed to be around 10. And maybe even colder, and I don't want to go out and check in the middle of the night so.............

The only thing with that lamp though.........when I go out and peek at them before bed, I swear they were playing some dirty card games out there.....they all shut up and looking innocent and everything!
lol.png

I have six in our coop. 4 Silkies and 2 Polish banties...

I take a BIG laundry bottle, add boiling water to it and place that inside of the coop.

A great heat source, no electricity, no fires.... to worry about. by morning it's cold but NOT frozen...

Only once this yr so far, it's been froze, but i bring it in and it thaws. i'm sure it will be this AM..
melinda

Quote:
Great idea! They can all huddle close to it like a campfire! All of our girls were fine this morning, but tonight it is supposed to be really cold (-15 deg F). I think I'll give them a campfire for tonight!

Same here. Nice idea. I was thinking of heating a big rock on the woodstove. But your idea seems a little safer.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom