New Farm Thread!

Cupcake1243

Songster
Jul 20, 2020
England
Hi! So, I wasn't sure what thread to put this under but in the upcoming year me and the family will be getting a farm. I was hoping to build a few different coops ( with a run!) with different animals in. So far, i have chickens and ducks on my list. Can anybody give me some good breed/ animal thats known for good egg laying? Also, I will be posting my coop/run ideas below!
Coop 1- Pullets/ new layers
Coop 2- Full on layers/ up to when they stop laying
Coop 3- Retired:lau
Coop 5- Breeding

All of the coops would come with a run attached so is this a good idea? Also, in each coop/ run there would be around 5-6 birds so how big should it be? Like, feet wide etc.
Thanks for reading and I can't wait to hear the answers! :)

Hello! Sorry no one has responded yet. That is very exciting that you are getting a farm! How big is it? I'm having farm envy!

I really recommend Barred Rocks and Silver Leghorns. They are among my best layers! I love the idea you had with the multiple coops. Will you build them next to eachother?

Glad to hear the retired ladies will have a place of their own other than the pressure cooker. I have several 'retired' hens and they are so sweet still! Norlene, the oldest is going on nine this spring!

Anyways, how do you plan on keeping track of when the ladies stop laying? Also how will you introduce them back into the retirement home? Just some questions.

I think you could have one large run with doors/walls separating them, just so it's easier to re-into later.

I don't have ducks, but am hoping to bring some home this spring. Hopefully someone else here can help you with that from experience!

Good luck!!

Hello! Sorry no one has responded yet. That is very exciting that you are getting a farm! How big is it? I'm having farm envy!

I really recommend Barred Rocks and Silver Leghorns. They are among my best layers! I love the idea you had with the multiple coops. Will you build them next to eachother?

Glad to hear the retired ladies will have a place of their own other than the pressure cooker. I have several 'retired' hens and they are so sweet still! Norlene, the oldest is going on nine this spring!

Anyways, how do you plan on keeping track of when the ladies stop laying? Also how will you introduce them back into the retirement home? Just some questions.

I think you could have one large run with doors/walls separating them, just so it's easier to re-into later.

I don't have ducks, but am hoping to bring some home this spring. Hopefully someone else here can help you with that from experience!

Good luck!!
Thank you for the detailed reply! We are looking for a good few acres with areas to build stables in. Unfortunately, the farm has had to be postponed until after coronavirus and its restrictions have gone to make it a little easier to buy. The coops will all be built near each other but with separate runs as we wont be there all day.

I couldn't possibly cull any of my animals, I would cry for weeks on end even thinking about it!!!! As for keeping track of layers, i will probably keep a maximum of two of the same breeds in a coop of about 6. This would mean different egg colors so it would help with tracking egg production.

Also, in reply to that post, any good duck breeds? And, advice on building a pond???? Thanks in advance! :) ;) :) ;)
I’m in the process of building my own pond right now for my ducks. I highly recommend you check out pinterest to get an idea on what you want. I’ll have a filter in mine + a waterfall. I suggest trying a preformed pond liner, as they are super simple and easy for beginners like myself. I also recommend making it pretty, with rocks, plants and accessories!

I’m in the process of building my own pond right now for my ducks. I highly recommend you check out pinterest to get an idea on what you want. I’ll have a filter in mine + a waterfall. I suggest trying a preformed pond liner, as they are super simple and easy for beginners like myself. I also recommend making it pretty, with rocks, plants and accessories!
Thanks so much for the reply! I will have a look into Pinterest over the course of the week.
Thanks!

Hi! So, I wasn't sure what thread to put this under but in the upcoming year me and the family will be getting a farm. I was hoping to build a few different coops ( with a run!) with different animals in. So far, i have chickens and ducks on my list. Can anybody give me some good breed/ animal thats known for good egg laying? Also, I will be posting my coop/run ideas below!
Coop 1- Pullets/ new layers
Coop 2- Full on layers/ up to when they stop laying
Coop 3- Retired:lau
Coop 5- Breeding

All of the coops would come with a run attached so is this a good idea? Also, in each coop/ run there would be around 5-6 birds so how big should it be? Like, feet wide etc.
Thanks for reading and I can't wait to hear the answers! :)
I love Easter Eggers... they are my best layers! They are not a large breed and they lay beautifully colored eggs! They are sweet and friendly... and beautiful!
I also like Cayuga ducks.. very sweet and do not fly...
My coop is open to my run and my run is completely covered and secure... so my chickens go to bed and wake up on their own.. unless I let them in the extended yard.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom