New friend for Pecker - Mademoiselle Kitty

Nutcup

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Yreka, California

Pecker and Kitty

My brother and I were on a drive visiting with our Mom when we drove by a feed store in Loomis that had a "Baby Chicks" sign out front. Glenn wanted some so we stopped to look. He got some week-and-a-half old Leghorn chicks, and I was looking at some pretty gold ones that were larger. I decided I wanted one as a friend for Pecker, since the bigger sisters won't accept her in their run. There were less than a dozen left of these 3 1/2 week old chicks. The clerk had a hard time and finally caught a Silver Laced Wyandotte, so I thought OK, I don't need a gold one.

Joanne named her Kitty, she's smart as a whip and wild as a baby quail. She's escaped a couple of times and I've had a heckofa time catching her. Pecker isn't too happy about all this, but she hasn't really hurt Kitty.

Last edited:
Update: Pecker now mothers Kitty, and it's sweet to see them together. Kitty is a wild thing and flies like a champ. Pecker has become more of a chicken and is teaching Kitty things I didn't think she knew. Pecker never ran from me before, but she does now. I'm happy they have each other.

Pecker and Kitty may start laying at the same time; Kitty's bigger than Pecker now, but they're still always close together. If anyone looks at the picture of Pecker, she has cheeks, a rose comb, and the most beautiful green legs - could she be an Americana?

Last edited:
You are fortunate that the two took to each other. Most times, the larger one will be domineering.

Pecker appears to be an EE (Easter egger) and she will lay olive to turquoise colored eggs. Kitty's eggs will be tan. They should be laying by February, first part of March at the latest.

You're also very fortunate Kitty turned out to be a pullet. SLWs are notoriously hard to sex accurately and a high proportion end up being roosters.

Last edited:
Thank you Carol!
I'm especially lucky because she wasn't the one I wanted but one the clerk finally got after chasing around the pen. I was after a gold-something.

When I bought the first 4 chicks at 6 days old I thought the Cochins were the Americanas so I was disappointed when they started laying brown eggs. The Americanas haven't begun laying yet, and they are 9 months old. Soon I'll have too many :>)

Update July 2016
Pecker is still with me but her sister Big Nellie laid 3 blue eggs and then got egg-bound. Pecker is laying light brown thin-shelled eggs. Big Nellie died last winter. I don't plan to get Easter Eggers again. In the past I had real Americanas and didn't have all this trouble with them.

Miss Kitty lays extra-large brown eggs, and is an awesome hen. A few nights ago it was cool and when I locked them up Pecker had her little wing over Miss Kitty. It was really cute. Pecker almost looks like a bantie she's so small.

The 2 Cochins lay well, Mink has dark brown eggs and the other's are light brown. The Cochins are noisy, crazy and very competitive, especially Scooby-Do - the one with feathery legs & feet. She's kind of a bully and still picks on Pecker a lot.

If it isn't too hot I get 4 eggs a day. My favorite hen is the Silver-laced Wyandotte!

Back
Top Bottom