New Guinea Owner (with pics)

bradselig

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Warren, IN
I just wanted to share my new guineas. I have had chickens and ducks for the last month or so and finally was able to find a guinea breeder close to me! I picked up 6 guinea keets (8 total, 2 for a co-worker). I have an idea of colors, but would love to hear what others say. They are a couple weeks old (I cant remember the exact age, I was just in Guinea Overload mode as I had never seen that many keets before!). I did pay a little extra to get these little bit older keets. I figure it was worth the extra dollar to get a little bit older keets.

They are currently in the "brooder" in the garage under heat lamp of 90F. I found a feed store that had medicated Turkey Starter 26% protein (highest protein I could find) and they have already been pigging out! Added some electrolytes to their luke warm water with marbles in the bottom. They seem to be settling in quite well. My co-worker didnt have a preference on color, so I still havent decided which ones he will get.

Here are the pictures! Please correct me if I am wrong on the colors. I have been trying to do my research prior to purchasing guineas, but still not confident on my ability to identify colors in young keets.

One of the Pearl Greys (the largest of them all)

I have two keets who have this color and pattern. Pied Royal Purple? I feel confident on it being a pied, not sure on the royal purple. The head pattern doesnt look like at Pied Pearl Grey. Opinions?

This is the other largest keet. Maybe a Buff?

Lastly, a white?

Awwww, Congrats! You are correct on the Pearl Greys and the Pied Royal Purple, the smaller Royal Purple might not be Pied tho. And the last 2 colored keets hmmm... I'm going to guess the first keet is a Blonde or a diluted Chocolate, and the lightest keet could be an extra light Buff Dundotte or a Porcelain, possibly Pied. Hard to see the color on that one, but in those 2 pics it's head stripes look like it'll be a fully pearled variety, just not sure if it's going to be a real light tan or a real light blue base color. It's not a pure White tho, they have no color, no stripes at all, just all white.

Post some more pics as they grow, cute Babies!

Thank you so much for the reply. I am glad that it is not a true white. I personally am not a fan and LOVE the pearl pattern. The white was one I was going to give to my coworker, but I may keep it just to see what it turns out to be. Thanks for your help! I have always been fascinated with Guineas and it is a dream come true to finally be able to have some!

No problem, I love to help people figure out what colors they have. Thanks for sharing pics (we LOVE pics over here!).
I'd keep them all of I were you, but I'm greedy like that (I have 69 adults and am already keeping another 30+ keets from this yr's hatches so far!) LOL...
You'll have a beautiful flock! Congrats again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom