New here!! Question about poop cleaning

chickenlorena

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 23, 2010
Hello everyone! I'm new to raising chickens
smile.png
Got my first 2 today and have a question... we keep our hens in their coop at night but during the day they roam around free in a pretty big enclosure (40ft X 40ft) that has dirt and few weeds (no grass). How do we keep this area clean? Our 3 children love to play with the chickens and walk all around the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I use a pooper scooper ( like for a cat ) to get most of it... the rest I just kinda rake around..We have " coop shoes" that we leave out side so we dont track the stuff inside with us. Maybe someone else will have more tips for ya. congrats on the new hens...

With kids and their visiting kid friends and neighbors, I think a rubbermaid bench filled with plastic boots/clogs at the gate would be PERFECT!

Also, an outdoor sink with a nice selection of soaps, that drains the "greywater" from handwashing into the garden. Right outside the gate to the run. With a nice towel hanging there.

Make it easy and attractive. The kids love the whole process. For me, that would be perfect. I'm still working on mine.

I havent done it yet but its been suggested here sand like construction sand then you can scoop the poo out with a cat scoop. I really want to do that. Right now i have straw in their run the I rake and change periodically.

I do mix in shavings to help freshen things up..No hay cuz i find it to be a pain in the bum to clean up. as far as the poo goes, we also have rabbits so it all goes into a compost heap... its great for the garden, just layer it with newspaper leaves and left overs and turn it every so often... in fact I even see my hens picking thru the pile every now and again. If your in a small area and cant or dont want to do that maybe someone will have better options for you. Good luck ! Be sure to let us know how your girls are doing.

Wendy
welcome-byc.gif

Hi, You might try spreading a few bales of pine needles, they are relatively inexpensive and last a while, if you can keep them about an inch deep, the rain will just wash the poo into the dirt. Then just add a few bales of pine needles occasionally. It will keep your daylot clean and you can walk on it without getting your feet dirty. Oh, they smell nice too. Since it is a big lot, you might be able to get the pineneedles free from a neighbor or two that has plenty of pine trees. I hope this helps.
Sincerely, Bunny in NC
bun.gif

6chickens in St. Charles :

With kids and their visiting kid friends and neighbors, I think a rubbermaid bench filled with plastic boots/clogs at the gate would be PERFECT!

Also, an outdoor sink with a nice selection of soaps, that drains the "greywater" from handwashing into the garden. Right outside the gate to the run. With a nice towel hanging there.

Make it easy and attractive. The kids love the whole process. For me, that would be perfect. I'm still working on mine.

NOW i know what to do with my old farm sink I have had FOREVER... Awesome I dea... Im gonna steal it from ya ok...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom