New Here

get him a diaper and let him roam! He can follow you that way!
:goodpost:
BTW have you been using your fireplace? Two things maybe he is too warm above the fireplace, and secondly maybe fumes from it are driving his respiratory symptoms.
Do you ever cover his cage or? at night. Does he quiet down in the dark?

It's a long shot but maybe hearing a radio would make him feel less alone. Maybe he would pay some interest to a TV screen where he sees movements.
:goodpost:

@Cowgirl08tiff these are great suggestions!

His coop is on my fire place, he has toys and has oddly enough befriended my cat. What worries me is anytime I leave the living room he cries and paces in his coop. I even took him on a parrot perch to the bathroom counter when I showered this morning. I’m glad he loves me, I do. In my students words he’s my chicken son. I want to do whatever I can, short of getting him friends as their isn’t anything I can do about the state situation.
So you don't have an actual coop for him? Is it like a dog crate that you keep on the fireplace? Chickens do not do will in caged situations... not like a parrot. He needs a perch and lots of time to roam around. He also needs to go outside occasionally... fresh air and scratching in the dirt, and he needs a dust bath! Rolling in the dirt is how chickens keep their skin and feathers healthy. A lot more chicken activity will help ease his discomfort and loneliness. It's not uncommon for a lone chicken to befriend another species.

The links I provided earlier about house chickens will offer more insight on how to keep a house bound bird happy.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

Unbreakable Mirror, stuffed toy to cuddle and roaming are all good. @Anansi how do you keep your girls?

Hope this doesn't look wonky as this is the first time I'm using this post.

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
upload_2019-2-9_16-10-46-png.1668521
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/

Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button

upload_2019-2-9_16-13-47-png.1668525

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
upload_2019-2-9_16-14-53-png.1668528

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

BTW have you been using your fireplace? Two things maybe he is too warm above the fireplace, and secondly maybe fumes from it are driving his respiratory symptoms.
Do you ever cover his cage or? at night. Does he quiet down in the dark?

It's a long shot but maybe hearing a radio would make him feel less alone. Maybe he would pay some interest to a TV screen where he sees movements.
We don’t use the fireplace, it’s fake anyways. I’m working on getting him a pullet friend. Until then he’s my side kick. Since I teach ag he goes to class with me. Follows me around the house. He chills at night once I put pandora on and cover his coop in blankets with an air gap in the back. He has a perch to roost and goes right to sleep. He cruzes around the house and has a box he hangs out in. Today we made mini flock blocks together. Ok he wasn’t too helpful. He’s got veggie toys and jingle toys, mirrors and a heater. He’s a nut but he’s my little but. My students call him my chicken son.

Attachments

• 80F7D9E3-8EE5-4AAE-A051-9D19E988C3BA.jpeg
    80F7D9E3-8EE5-4AAE-A051-9D19E988C3BA.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 610C6F93-EAE9-4EDE-BEF0-72358156AEFE.jpeg
    610C6F93-EAE9-4EDE-BEF0-72358156AEFE.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom