New Irish pup!!!

Taking a dog because it's the "last available" is a bad idea, IMO. Not addressing show or conformation issues because I know nothing about them (and don't care to), but it sounds like other people have already been by and picked the dogs they wanted - maybe they were picking for temperament and there is something about this pup that they didn't want (and maybe they had no idea what they were doing and this pup is fine).

I havent met an irish setter with a bad temperment..but im sure there are some out there. I just wanna make sure i get a sound pup and if i breed down the road (husband said we could have A litter and than getting them fixed) but i dont wanna be a breeder who just breeds for the heck of it no matter what faults the dog has. I want sound pups that reach both the standard for the breed as well as the known temperment and personality of the breed. These really are fantastic dogs Cant imagine why they are so hard to find. But everyone has there own favorite breed. i wasnt big on the irish setters at first. It was more there personality that got me. just fun loving devoted goof balls is what they are. In the meantime I will just do more reasearch on the breed and see what all i can learn. plus a few emails to mom always helps..guess i should of aid more attention to the breed gorwing up.

As it so happens, there are AKC Shows being held in Topeka, KS this weekend!

They are located at: Kansas Expocentre Complex, One Expocentre Drive, Topeka, KS

The Irish Setters do not have a big entry, only 5. On Saturday they show at 9:15 after 15 other dogs, so maybe around 9:45 or so, in Ring 4. On Sunday they show at 10:15 after 18 other dogs, about 10:45, in Ring 5. It's usually better to talk with people in depth after they have shown! I don't know if these dogs are going to be there with their Owners or Professional Handlers which will make a difference on how much pertinent information you will get on Irish Setters and local Breeders as Professional Handlers are not necessarily into the Breed!

In looking at the National Breed Club Website which I sent you last night, there are several 'local Clubs' in Missouri, one is located in Kansas City. Their information is: Irish Setter Club of Greater Kansas City, http://www.geocities.com/iscofgkc
Christine
Boutwell, MD, Secretary, 637 East 71st Terrace, Kansas Cty, MO 64131, 816-363-4533, [email protected]
They should be able to help direct you to various Breeders in the area.

Don't be hesitant to travel a little to get a new puppy. If you are truly wanting to perhaps breed her she needs to be a good example of the Breed! If you want to show her, that is a whole 'nother' barrel of fish! Hopefully she will provide you and your family with many good years, after all, that's what counts! When I bought my first Belgian Sheepdog in 1984 my parents thought I was crazy to drive about an hour to pick him up. I recently helped import a puppy that I co-own with a friend from Holland! The things I do now...

Im interested in showing but have never done it before so maybe way down the road. This weekend i cant go
hmm.png
. I have another show im going to with my husband, picking up some chickens and a BBQ that i have committed to. But you'd better beleive that as soon as im done with this message im ganna be emailing the people hosting the dog show to see if they can help :
thumbsup.gif
! I never thought it would be this hard to find a puppy. i had an easier time locating my bernese mountain dog (but he was a rescue pup and we had to put him down about 1 yr ago due to an illness..common among the breed but still devistating to us) I guess i never realized what all my mother did to find her dogs. Being a pet is def. #1 to us everything else is just something i'd like. With three little kids there is more than enough love in this house to go around lol. my kids tried to adopt a little snake they fouond in the yard the other day....i convinced them that it was better off in the wild
ep.gif
. We have since adopted a no snakes in the house rule!

In the meantime as i continue my search my husband has decided to get another "barn" cat. We have one already but doesnt do anything or like anyone but him. She wont even catch mice or even step foot outside. He says this one is a mouser and would be great for keeping the mice down (though we really dont have an issue with mice so im thinking that he just wants one). Im not really a cat person.......i want my puppy
barnie.gif

That's probably for the best. It would be awful to get a puppy & then regret it later. DF reminded me this morning of how picky I've been about choosing a puppies
hide.gif
. I passed up plenty of puppies when we were searching for a blue male weim because they had a small spot of white on their chest or their parents did or because they were of the slimmer build that a lot of the weims have now days (which I really dislike). It took us 22 mos in all to find the perfect male; we ended up with Remy & he was well worth it. When we started searching for his "wife" I did the same thing over again & it took about 13 mos for us to find the perfect one. Emma had more field titles in her background than conformation & that matched up very well because Remy has a pile of conformation titles. Then, when I was helping my mother look for her standard poodle puppy I started looking before last Christmas & we just got her about 2 weeks ago.
smile.png
Have you tried some of the dog advertising websites?

I searched the american kennel club and found two irish Setter club contacts right here in kansas! I emailed them both asking for help locating the perfect pup for us. And i had to send pictures of hunter and the family. I think every proud dog ower would od them same! Love showing the babies off! Found one pic of the whole family together...pay no mind the the way i look...i look like a drowned rat
roll.png
. A couple at the park was nice enough to take it for us.

63412_waterfall_372.jpg

AKC has an online classifieds section, too. They're probably some Irish Setter breeders listed in it. That's wonderful that they're willing to help you. I know our local all-breed club has someone assigned specifically to refer people to breeders.

Last edited:
There is two in the breeder classifieds. Both are about 400 miles away. Im ganna wait to email them to see what the two beed contacts I emailed suggest for me. Thank though
fl.gif

I was able to get some information from the president of the club and she led me to a breeder in MO! But after talking with my husband I have decided to met him halfway. He is a fire fighter paramedic and has wanted a search and rescue dog or some kind of service dog. I located a training center not to far from here and have been talking to them for awhile. I have decided to not pick a irish setter pup because of show standards...but find one that meets the drive of a service dog but is still breedable (no history or bad hips or anyother health issue's). I have also talk to a breeder/vet (and my brother in law who trained dogs for the military) about this and they agreed that if i found the right pup and the trainer made it fun for the dog the would probrably enjoy it. Also my husband would have to take the pup to class's which i thought would be nice for him since hunter is so attached to me. Does anyone else have any experience with a type of bomb/search and rescue dog?

Also the other breeder of the pups with the white on the face emailed me back and they have a second little that is still young and they are asking only $400 for them. But i have to see how there pedigree looks and to see of hips and etc. have been checked on the parents. In the meantime I plan on doing more research on what i need to look for for a good service dog. Any suggestions? The breeder, brother in law and trainer have given me some but looking for more info. Thanks guys!

I don't have experience with SAR dogs, but my grandfather hunted a lot & had bloodhounds when I was growing up. One of them had been trained as a tracking dog for a prison. She was one of the best hounds that he had & was always very dedicated.

We do Rally & Obedience trials with Remy, & it's been a wonderful bonding experience for us. He used to be more attached to my mother & DF, but since I'm the one that trains with him he's more bonded with me. DF was supposed to start field training with him this year so that we could take Remy to field trials, but he hurt his back & so that's on hold for now. A lot of the hunting breeds do really well with any type of training & they love it. Remy had rather train than do anything else.

Our far as showing, our blue weims can't be shown with AKC or UKC, but they can with IABCA because the standards are slightly different. So, I tend to lean towards the international standard anyways. I know with weimaraners there's an extensive online database of pedigrees, is there one for Irish Setters?. I was able to go all the way back to some of the original weims in the 1800s with ours.

Back
Top Bottom