new mama in rain - won't budge

montcapu

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
laingsburg, MI
I got a new mama with 4 babies, and the babies are only 3 days, she has access to a great run and chicken coop, but she insist on laying with babies in a lean to (open top) privacy fence (extra privacy fence leaning up against the back side of fence) I've moved her into the coop several times today(first day that she has moved the babies) and she continues to go back to the area... did not seem to be a problem until it started to rain and it is not a light rain its a downright down pour, I am concerned about the babies, not sure what to do
The area is not very big probably 18" wide, and she is huddle right next to the leaning privacy fence (no worry about falling or anything) but the rain could still get her, I put some hay between the fences for her and the babies, I plan on moving it tommorrow when it drys up and get a comfy area for her in the coop that she can relax in and pen her up for a couple days to encourage her to stay in the coop, but are the babies going to be ok overnight, any help would be appreciated
thanks

she has an access door so locking her in the coop this late is no use, my fear would be she would go out in the rain with the babies, at least she is mostly covered and has hay and what not with her.
as for brooder, Husband said no more chickens in the house so thats no option, just want to be reassured that the babies will be ok through the night and can deal with problem in the morning.

since they free range and I did not get home till late and it was raining, but I just had to check on them, I had to search in the pouring rain for 5 mintues before I found her, but she seems not to mind what rain is getting to her

if its raining and rain makes puddles there is a great chance that the chicks will not survive. If they dont drown they may get cold and wet. Tell your husband to grin bare it, that the chicks are coming in the house. If he doesnt like it send him to a motel/hotel. That's the price of being a responsible poultry/pet owner. that is what I would do anyway.

Lol yes I ALWAYS sneak a chicken or two into the house. Did not work out as well with my rooster (I had him in a box under my bed because he was sick). My mom walked in and he was all quiet until my mom started talking...and he crows.

Emzyyy...you seem wise beyond your years. I've seen some posts from you and you are quite the knowledgeable chicken owner. Thanks for sharing all you have to offer!

it has stopped raining (for right not) went out and checked them, there is no standing water anywhere near them, and it is barely wet at all where she is laying, so I think I may just bare and grin in thru the night and be up first thing in morning and taking care of the problem at hand

Back
Top Bottom