New member, New rooster...What is he?

BluemuleRay

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2022
Hello all new to BYC, some what new to chickens 3-4 yrs.

We picked up a rooster from the feed store in hopes to add some new chickens to the flock. we are wondering what he might be. Ive searched quite a bit but he's got several confusing qualities.

My initial thoughts were Welsummer, but he has a three part comb and white shading on earlobes.

any thoughts?
IMG_3136.jpeg
IMG_3137.jpeg
IMG_3117.jpeg
IMG_3118.jpeg

he cant be a EE he dose not have the wright comb or a beard or muffs so...:oops: just saying
There are many EEs without beards. He does have a very common EE type comb.
His comb is really interesting, it looks kind of like a double single comb
i think he might be a Sicilian buttercup potentially a Sicilian buttercup X
View attachment 2996679
View attachment 2996680
View attachment 2996681

View attachment 2996686
I thought it was Buttercup. The white earlobes and comb are right but a Buttercup has green legs. Maybe a cross with Brown Leghorn ? :confused:
He has a heterozygous/modified pea comb. That means he has one copy of the (dominant) pea comb gene and one copy of the (recessive) single comb gene. You’ll notice, if you look closely, that the comb is thicker and has shorter/more rounded points than a buttercup comb. These types of combs are very common in EEs and EE mixes.

he cant be a EE he dose not have the wright comb or a beard or muffs so...:oops: just saying
EEs can be beardless. His comb is a modified pea comb.

Also EEs can have any skin color, comb type, occasionally light leg feathering, can be any color, & lay any color egg.

the yellow shanks, do not seem typical for the EE, however I do understand anything is possible.

so how could I tell what egg color he will give the offspring?

my list of hens includes:

1 EE
1 Olive egger
1 RIR
1 Barred rock
1 copper maran
1 speckeld sussex

I am going to hatch out a few eggs from each of these,
which one will will be the easiest indication that he is a brown egg gene or EE gene?
Cross him with a BR, CM, or SS. If any of the offspring lay brown, he has (at most) one blue egg gene. If all lay blue/green, and the population is large enough, he has two blue egg genes. If all lay brown, and the population is large enough, he has no blue egg genes.

Back
Top Bottom