New Neighbour Learns Hard Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleChickenRacingTeam

On vacation
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Ontario, CANADA
For the last couple of weeks, a young siberian husky has been showing up, and scratching at the door & window trying to get at my chooks inside. I caught it in a leg hold trap, and because it had tags decided to turn it over to animal control. I also found out that it lived 1 concession over & that the owners had just moved to the area.

It has come around a few times since then as well. Yesterday I caught it myself, and drove it home. I explained to the owners that I had chickens on my property and that they needed to keep the dog contained on their own property. The wife just laughed & said that their pooch was a puppy, & wouldn't hurt a fly. The hubby said with all the land around us he would do as he pleased & wasn't gonna let me dictate what he did with his dog.

I explained that the only reason I returned the dog in the first place was because it was young & I figured the owner's were new to the area. I said in future I would not be returning the dog. He ordered me off his property & said if I call animal control on his dog again, there will be a price to pay. I smiled & told him that I had no intentions on calling animal control the next time his dog showed up.

Well you can guess where this is going, this morning the dog showed up, so I grabbed the shotgun & dispatched it.

I was going to call animal control, to come pick up the remains & notify the owners. I think I'm just going to let sleeping dogs lie however.

Last edited:
clap.gif
You did just what you should have. I think you were more than fair to irresponsible dog owners. You warned them and even took the dog back to them once. What did they expect? Same thing happens here all the time except most of my neighbors don't bother to warn the irresponsible, neglectful owners.

you did what you thought was right.it was clear that the dog wasnt gonna stay home.an that they didnt intend to keep the dog penned.bet youll be getting a visit from them in a few days.asking if you have seen their missing dog.

SSS is in order!!

I've lived in the country all my life. People who move to the country and expect to let their dogs roam freely irritate the heck out of me. The dogs are always the ones who end up paying in the long run.

I always cringe when I see an ad in the paper looking for a home in the country with room to run for a dog.

I don't blame you for protecting your birds! You tried to be a nice neighbor by making the situation known to the dog owner. I guess you got your answer after speaking to the dog owner. Looks to me like you handled the situation perfectly!

I realize the deed is already done, but what kind of response did you get from animal control? Do they fine the owners or just smile and give the dog back? How are the neighbors going to know they learned a lesson when they are clueless as to what happened to their dog? With the dog nosing at the coop door, in the eyes of the law was that justification to kill it? It just makes me ill that you killed the dog and I do wonder about "just" alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom