New rooster to female flock (of 3)

Thank you both! Although I knew it wasn't rape, I just wasn't sure how to explain to the kid.

3 of my hens that are laying for sure still don't sing.... Hope they don't all follow suit!

So you, @aart would consider just keeping a cockerel pen for those we plan to eat and not mate until next year while the pullets develop? Do you think this would help to create less crowing as well or have no impact?
Most birds that are laying are 'singing' and/or SquawkYakking up a storm just before laying.

I put extra cockerels on the grill (or sell or give away) before 16 weeks.
Putting them all, or all but one, in a bachelor pad should ease the pressure on the pullets big time....but I don't think it will curb the crowing.

I had one cockerel(the keeper) who was pretty easy on the pullets, until the younger cockerels came of age...then the keeper got really rough with the pullets and fought the other boys as well. As soon as I removed the extra cockerels keeper calmed down, like immediately. It was amazing.

Quick note, I have 16 pullets with those 2 cockerels.

@76972clb Hope i'm not hogging your thread and maybe you can learn from my questions as well even though it's not quite the same....
smile.png
Two Roosters to 16 pullets should workout fine...On average it is 10 to 1 ratio....

I agree with the above comment about not putting human traits and emotions on animals. Mating is essential to reproduction which is 100% the goal of any and all animals. Your roosters and hens/pullets are young and still learning. Pretty soon the females will be squating for the males so he can hop on when they want to mate.

Since you describe displeasure, can you help me to understand or my teen daughter wants to know how it isn't rape.... I told her they could run away. But she suggested that was like blaming the victim. :/  I know what they are doing is natural, but is there anything I can tell my daughter to make her more comfortable with it?

We have 2 cockerels who have just began mating and one of them got the same hen 4 times yesterday! :eek:  I don't even know if she's laying yet since I haven't found a nest or heard a song from her, but she did squat...

Tell your daughter that chickens are not humans. You should, though, have enough hens (7-10 per rooster) to keep both the rooster and the hens happy. Otherwise, the rooster will be a constant annoyance to the hens, and their backs will get sore, and lose feathers even. It's about reproduction, not rape.

Most birds that are laying are 'singing' and/or SquawkYakking up a storm just before laying.

I put extra cockerels on the grill (or sell or give away) before 16 weeks.
Putting them all, or all but one, in a bachelor pad should ease the pressure on the pullets big time....but I don't think it will curb the crowing.

I had one cockerel(the keeper) who was pretty easy on the pullets, until the younger cockerels came of age...then the keeper got really rough with the pullets and fought the other boys as well. As soon as I removed the extra cockerels keeper calmed down, like immediately. It was amazing.
Seriously, only one sings out of 3 layers. A second one was taught not to sing because she sang before going to lay so I grabbed her & locked her in the coop to stop her from laying under a bush that one of the other girls showed her.
hmm.png
Since I blocked that bush, no more eggs from those 2, thinking an egg hunt is in order. Darn those blasted blackberries! I have noticed the squawking on some before they head to lay, so I will pay attention for that as well.

Does breed play a part in what age you process? Obviously not including CX.
I agree with the above comment about not putting human traits and emotions on animals. Mating is essential to reproduction which is 100% the goal of any and all animals. Your roosters and hens/pullets are young and still learning. Pretty soon the females will be squating for the males so he can hop on when they want to mate.
I agree. Interestingly seeing animals do what comes naturally, sometimes brutal (pecking/pack order), but ALL want to spread their seed... Helps me to have a little more compassion and understanding for the human race. And it happens among all animals I've observed!

And what goes on with the cockerels with the pullets screaming is no different than how almost every one of my birds acts when I pick them up. Screaming at first during the pick up, then calm during the subsequent petting and holding.

The 2 cockerels in question are Lav Am and not part of my breeding plan. They just weren't on the menu because they came around before we decided we would eat our own. And they haven't made me mad yet. So I was gonna let them stay in my egg house where I don't keep my breeders. The crowing is not bad, I was just curious about the dynamics. But freezer camp is always a possibility.

I think my daughter is just being protective, but she will have to adjust. And so far with other animals with maturity came a little more peace, including for my kids and with my own marriage. She is a pretty smart cookie which also give her a hightened level of sensitivity. She will always protect the underdog... like both of her parents.

@Weehopper Agreed. And btw, I am always impressed when someone knows the difference between loser and looser.
tongue.png

Thank you all for being helpful! Much appreciated, as I consider people's time to be more valuable than gold! Once it's gone you can't get it back. Thank you again.

Quote: Well, maybe not every single one of my 10 pullets are squawking/singing...but it sure the h3ll sounds like it....haha!

No, breed does not play a part, most my birds are mutts anyway...age is the key.
Before 16 weeks (general 'rule of thumb') they are still tender enough to do something other than just stew them,
the plus to slaughtering that young is you don't have to deal with the plethora of problems that can occur when having multiple sexually mature males in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom