New rooster to flock

Themagicone

Chirping
Aug 28, 2018
Ramsey, MN
So my neighbor gave us 4 adult hens (one died), then I got 6 chicks. Chicks were easy to separate and ease them in with the older hens (they won't use the coop yet though).

Today while browsing a local chicken trade group someone right next to my friend had a 4 month old roo that was slated for the stew pot if no one got him. Short story he is now in a small 3ft x 5ft covered run next to my hens. I tried to just put him in with them but he sparred with one of the older ones and was pecking the chicks.

He is not that that happy about being in such a small space but I was short in time to build something bigger.

How long should I keep them seperate? What is the best way to make him part of the flock?

Attachments

• 20180903_162303.jpg
    20180903_162303.jpg
    964 KB · Views: 16
Since you didn't quarantine a look-no-touch set up would be best. Have him separated for maybe 2 weeks. See if they get along then. Is the current set up good for them to see each other?
4 months is still young for a cockerel. So, he might need more time to be separated depending on how he gets along with the hens. Hens can kill a cockerel.
How old are the chicks now?

3x5 is plenty of room for a run for 1 chicken. And for a temporary set up it should be fine. When I got mine, he got a small section of the run and then at night I placed him in a tote that had hardware cloth over the top and he went into a secure building. He didn't seem to mind. I just grabbed him at night when he wouldn't run from me.
Anyway, good luck. He is handsome!

Pretty bird! He looks like an Ayam cemani, or svart hona to me. (Not an expert!) P.S. Ayam cemani are supposedly pretty chill birds once they become part of the flock. Mine only took a few days to start getting along. I just made sure there was enough room for everyone, they kind of separated themselves at first and slowly started to integrate. There were a few skirmishes but no major damage.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll make his space a little better tomorrow. I have a 8ftx4ft large dog chain link kennel that I will set up. The current run I have for the hens is only 12x12. This week will start the construction on a new 8x12 2 level coop and fencing in a 35ft x 20ft area for them.

Was going to wait on any more until that was done but I wanted to save him from the stew pot.

Back
Top Bottom