New to baby chics

Bridgette1221

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
I'm about to buy my first set of baby chics on Thursday and I am wondering how long I keep them inside before putting them in their coop, which my sweet hubby is helping me build right now. Also, any suggestions on what breeds are best and if there is any vital information that I should know before hand. I have done alot of reading about the subject trying to learn as much as possible before I get them but thought maybe so of you might have some suggestions. Thanks

First you have to wait till there completly feathered out.Your going to get many different opinions about breeds.Normaly Buff Orpingtons are the fav. because of easy temperment,good egg layers, and excellent mothers.It all depends on your preference.Good luck and have fun with your babies!!!!
Mine are soon to arrive in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
36 chicks and 6 ducks!!!!!!!
ya.gif

How long does it take them to completely feather out usually? I'm sure there is no exact time period but just a guesstimate?

Thanks for the help!

Some feather out slower then others but that seems about right.I would say 6 weeks just to be on the safe side specialy if you don't have many chicks. I always get around 25 or 30 at a time so they do well out in the coop.

I was thinking about getting 10-12. How many roosters should I get for that many? I was thinking 10 hens and 2 roosters and then I read on this site about them fighting. I would really like to have 2 but I dont want them hurting each other. If they grew up together from chics would it make a difference? I am getting them from my local feed store. They will be in on Thursday morning. I have a list of breeds they are getting and trying to decide on which ones I want. They are getting black and blue silkies which I'm pretty sure I want at least a couple of those. They are getting white the following Thursday. They are getting like 12 different types and like 4 different types of roosters. I'm sooo confused!!!!
hmm.png

Welcome to this site. It truly is a great site for learning everything you need to know.

I too am a first timer that got my ten girls from my local feed store 5 1/2 wks ago.

I went with the chicks that are dual purpose, cold hardy, and known to be nice. I am very happy with them. The 3 Plymouth Barred Rock are by far the most outgoing and friendly chicks and growing the fastest. Of the 3 buff orpingtons, one is very outgoing - flys on my lap, on my back if I bend over the brooder, doesn't mind being picked up. The other two are a little standoffish.

The 2 americanas (EE) are very shy. One of them will let me pick it up but doesn't like it. The other one is the most standoffish of all the bunch of chicks. Has always been the one to squack and carry on like the sky is falling when ever I get near the brooder.

The 2 Rhode Island reds have always let me put my hand up to them without running away. They are maturing slower than the rest.

Of my 10 pullets, I was hoping one ended up being a roo but so far they look to be all hens.

Being that this is your first time as well, I would recommend you stick with 8-12 hardy breeds and save getting silkies for later. All the chicks look so small when days old at the feed store but man do they grow up fast.

Make sure you have a brooder that is big enough to handle the number of birds you plan to get and keep in there for 6-8 wks.

Good luck and enjoy everyday with them. AND lots of pics.

Quote:
I wouldn't fret two roosters for 10 hens. Most breeds in my experience get along pretty well. In fact I have even had 2 or 3 OEGB roosters for a flock of about 6 hens with no problems.

Worst case you can cull or sell one of them if problems arise. They are usually pretty good to eat at the age where they reach sexual maturity.

Back
Top Bottom