New to DE. Anyone use it on for their dogs....... any advice please??

With as many died-in-the-wool DE users there are out there who swear by DE as a internal parasite cure -- people who actually understand, and will tell you, how DE works against exoskeletal insects -- I've yet to run across one who can give me any hint of an explanation as to how it could possibly work against internal parasites..

What I have run across countless times, though, are people who get really, really angry at anyone who would dare question DE.

What ensues are almost like religious or political arguments... It's as though DE has somehow attained the status of some kind of symbol of faith, and by questioning it, you're attacking someone's faith...

It's just weird.

If it works, fine...just tell me how that's possible. Just tell me how it works, and I'll hush. If you can't explain it, and if I have studies to back up my position that it doesn't work....well....don't get angry at me! You should be angry with the people who snookered you into believing so fiercely in (and buying lots of) something that doesn't work!

But, hey...that's just my opinion..
hu.gif

Quote:
Thanks, Shelley, and all the other posters. I think I will continue to use a wormer for the dogs but will definitely do more research and will consider putting some on their coats. I did not want to start anything controversial but I do appreciate opinions from both sides. thanks.

The only reason i say that it sucks is because i have tried it before.... if i hadnt tried it before i would not say anything aganist it...
I think that it may be okay as a PREVENTIVE.... but NOT as a treatment when you already have a problem.
I hate fleas..and they spread/breed like crazy... its just not worth the risk to me...

Quote:
Point taken. I currently use frontline and I also bath in flea shampoo. The dogs are clear but I regularly have to remove ticks from them. Don't you just hate the little biting creatures???

We are having a horrible time with ticks here right now too. My springers are always coming in with them. I use DE for the chickens but somehow I just don't feel comfortable using it on the dogs. I was actually considering getting some guinea fowl to deal with the ticks!

I have used Advantage, Advantix, frontline, frontline plus and DE on my dogs. Nothing and I mean nothing I have stated here works for me. So now I use a combo, I use Capstar, Comfortis and a topical. 2 of my Jacks have flea allergies and they are absolutely miserable if I do anything else, because the fleas still get on them, bite and irritate them.

Exerpts
Perma-Guard, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Perma-Guard Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is totally organic and safe. It contains less than 1% percent of Crystal & Silicon.

There are 2 false statements just in that one sentence.
There is nothing "organic" about DE, since it's a ELEMENTAL MINERAL

A chemical element is a pure chemical substance consisting of one type of atom distinguished by its atomic number, which is the number of protons in its nucleus.[

Organic matter - matter that has come from a once-living organism, is capable of decay or the product of decay, or is composed of organic compound.

The phrase "contains less than 1% silicon" is also false, since DE is Silicon , and very little else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

The typical chemical composition of oven dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

One shouldn't get their information on a product from a SALESMAN instead of scientists.

You'd get the same anthelmentic results feeding them common sand, since it's the same chemical composition:

The most common constituent of sand, in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings, is silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2),

Don't look at this as a "pissing match" but rather a class in Physical Science​

Last edited:
I just recently introduced 2 new RIR's to my coop and this went quite well for a change ! One of them is now sick with a very pale comb. I have dusted her for mites and will get some DE today to use. But I don't do the "add 2% to the feed stuff . I would prefer measurements to add to the feed etc. I buy the laying pellets and the scratch in the 25 lb bags. I also read that people put it in yougurt but doesn't that defeat the purpose if DE gets negated if it becomes wet?

I am trying DE on my dogs that have flees and it is working the flees are way down. I am not sure its a de-wormer like some people claim but it does work on drying out the poop in the coop so It does have places where it does work.

Back
Top Bottom