grantjohnstone

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2018
My name is Grant and I have two pet ducks. They are the hatchlings of a pet Pekin and Swedish Black. They have been lovingly handled as pets from the moment they were hatched, so they are decidedly PETS.

We live in a developed neighborhood where you wouldn’t expect ducks or chickens. Consequently, they are a joy for the neighbor kids and guests.

They live in a 10x10 foot fenced area with a caged and tarped roof. They have a nesting box with a warming plate designed to provide gentle warmth. They have a deep water 3x4x3 tub that has a circulating filter. The water and filter are changed weekly. They play outside the cage during the day and are put up at dark.

They eat non-medicated all flock pellets.

One duck was attacked by our dog and was torn up pretty bad. Infection set into its ankle. With antibiotics and attention, he recovered 100%. The other duck has angle wing (probably because I fed her too much protein as a chick).

Their names are Lucky and Piper.

Attachments

• BBFAF345-AA1A-4F15-938F-5A533C5C9734.jpeg
    BBFAF345-AA1A-4F15-938F-5A533C5C9734.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 33
We used an invisible fence to keep them separated. The dog ultimately left to go live with my daughter because he was a bird dog, and they made him a nervous wreck. You just can’t train the bird dog out of a bird dog. We may have had better luck if the dog was raised as a puppy with the ducks.

Currently, the ducks are much happier to have the whole yard to themselves.

I will say, the invisible fence would work great for mist dogs. Our dog was just a bit too hard wired with natural instinct.

Back
Top Bottom