New to owning ducks need help!!!

Newt46

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2020
What kind of heater should I use for my ducks pool? Also if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with them for the winter I would be very grateful. Also, I have this duck run I’m not sure if it’s a good size and I have a tarp but it doesn’t cover all
Of it and was wondering if I should get another one to keep the breeze out. They do have a little coop I built for them but it doesn’t close, it’s attached to the run, not sure if that helps.

Attachments

• 7CC5DF4E-B177-43F5-B14D-A7B6906C82FB.jpeg
    7CC5DF4E-B177-43F5-B14D-A7B6906C82FB.jpeg
    675.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 5A52EEAD-AC8E-46CF-A0D5-FB41BDFF0785.jpeg
    5A52EEAD-AC8E-46CF-A0D5-FB41BDFF0785.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 9D228936-4240-45A1-A550-B3E98123E5B0.jpeg
    9D228936-4240-45A1-A550-B3E98123E5B0.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 16
Pond heaters are not meant to heat the pond. They only keep a small hole in the ice melted to allow for oxygen to get into the water and gasses to vent out so the water stays healthy. Not knowing how cold it gets in your area I tend to use one rule to answer weather questions, "if you are worried about them being too cold better safe than sorry. Make sure it can be closed up so it is not breezy. Lots of dry hay for sleeping on and snuggling into. Do not use a heat lamp or heater as they often start fires. The ducks body and the hay are normally enough to keep a coop warm as long as it is a solid structure.

It’s solid it just doesn’t have a door, but I wanted to tarp the whole cage run as well. I have a kiddie pool, I’m not sure what to put in that to keep it from icing over or getting too cold. I live in pa so it fluctuates

Okay thank you so much! Now, I have one more question if anyone could answer, I went out this morning and found that my ducks wing had dried blood on it. I’m not sure what it’s from and I hope not a blood feather because I have no idea what to do for that.

Attachments

• 79C2E15D-2B69-4F92-9DE2-E3F52FAE0DBA.jpeg
    79C2E15D-2B69-4F92-9DE2-E3F52FAE0DBA.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 8
  • E4BB979D-0221-47E8-A1C4-6ACA4E525210.jpeg
    E4BB979D-0221-47E8-A1C4-6ACA4E525210.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 8
Okay thank you so much! Now, I have one more question if anyone could answer, I went out this morning and found that my ducks wing had dried blood on it. I’m not sure what it’s from and I hope not a blood feather because I have no idea what to do for that.
Could you grab her and inspect the area further? It may be a wound or a bloody feature, you will nee dot inspect her more to know what it is, and how to treat it.

I got them a couple weeks ago and they were already about 3 weeks if not older, and they have a come around a little more but still won’t let me touch them or anything so I can’t really examine it closely

I got them a couple weeks ago and they were already about 3 weeks if not older, and they have a come around a little more but still won’t let me touch them or anything so I can’t really examine it closely
As old as they are you may never have ducks comfortable with human contact. they may come close to you, like mine do, but run away when you move toward them in any way. Also, like mine do. :confused: If you get them young enough you can get them to imprint to you but then they think they are a human not a duck and may not get on well with other ducks nor feel safe and secure with ducks. So i personally don't recommend this. Just keep trying to get close and pick them up often. This will help them see pick ups are annoying but not necessarily bad. They will still complain. I also try to carry them to a place that is a neutral spot, i use a hallway personally. So they can see a way out. I sit them on the floor, hold them firm and do whatever medical, check up, inspection, medication, what have you, is needed then let them go always talking gently and in my good ducky voice. That i am sure they just L O V E. :sick

Back
Top Bottom