1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here, would love to know if a have a roo!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chasecarlson12, Jun 1, 2016.

1. chasecarlson12

chasecarlson12 Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

I have 14 chicks that are 5 weeks old. They sent me an extra easter egger. I've started noticing that he/she acts and looks a little different. I didn't order one but would be happy to have a rooster ;-) it has 3 distinct rows on the comb and it's a reddish color. Red is also on the body. What do you think??

2. chasecarlson12

Jun 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    If it's a light/paleish red its a pullet,if its alomst all covered in red that is like a cherry type color its a boy,could I get a pic in just daylight?

4. chasecarlson12

Jun 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

Hi there! From your picture it is hard to tell what you have. Could you get a picture of your chick standing naturally without flash? It could be too young to accurately tell at this point but we can try.

And welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. chasecarlson12

Jun 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Im going to say pullet.

8. chasecarlson12

Jun 1, 2016
    Thanks, a few people I know locally think its a roo so thats why I wanted to post it here and get your help. This chick tries to herd the other chickens and always waits till everyone eats then it will eat. I just thought that was a little odd, but maybe its completely normal for a pullet to do that. :)

9. Gardenalex

Gardenalex Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    That is a rooish behaviour. But it is very young and for the Moment your chick looks girlish.

10. chasecarlson12

Jun 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by