Newbie - My chicken sits all the time .. Sore leg

Shelly12

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 3, 2014
Cairns - Australia
Hi everyone,

I am new to owning chickens and have lots of questions I live in QLD AU in the tropics so lots of humidity and heat. I rescued this chicken from a cat and raised it since it was a tiny chick. Love it to bits I also have a black Australop which is about the same age called Penny both about 5 months. I got her to keep Lucy the big one company, I did not realise that Lucy was going to get so big!

1) Is Lucy my chicken a female?

2) Are this type of breed prone to problems with legs or hips?

Since about 2 weeks ago was very active in the yard scratching around and making the most of a large area. But now all it dose is sit down all the time I have wormed, lice'd, treated for scaly leg mite, and given plenty of vitamins. There is nothing wrong with its appetite and drinks normally, all poos are normal as well.

Taken today 3/3/14
It appears to be something up in the hip or top of the leg no obvious injury but I am sure after going over it thoroughly a number of times and watching it walk that this is the problem. It is now confined to the pen with water and food with in easy access.

It is not Marekes disease as it is not common here and it would be dead by now, it is something with the leg or hip. Will be visiting the vet tomorrow but wanted to get some opinions first.

I'm not good at guessing sex, for that you could post photos on "what gender or breed is this."

Appears to be one of the "game" breeds. You could put "Game breeds," in the search box and follow what pops up. Someone should recognize the breed for you.

images

I am sorry about your bird. If this was my bird, I would keep the bird in a small cage for about 2 weeks with food and water right close. That way the bird is limited in movement and the rest might heal the leg. Could be something as simple as a sprain or strain. Pretty bird!

Welcome to BYC and good luck with your flock!

Thank's every one, I know now that Lucy is now a he which saddens me a bit because I now have to make the decision of what to do with him. He is such a lovely bird, I am worried that when he gets better he will try to mate with Penny who is a small black Australorp. This could harm her as he is so big and still growing!

I have put him into a pet carrier (he is not too happy about it I must say) and will monitor him over the next few days and gather info on him to help make my decision. I will post questions in the game bird forum and see if I can find some one who knows about them. I am aware that he is an aggressive breed but he is so gentle and kind to little Penny ... For now lol but I am worried about when the male instinct kicks in!

Thank you all .. I am glad to find this forum :)

Back
Top Bottom