EriLynCap

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
I apologize in advance for the length and for any future clarification questions. I am terrified of making things worse due to thinking I understand and being wrong.
I have 4 chickens and a rooster. When I got them mid July they were this year's hens to my understanding and seemed very healthy looking. One hen had a bald back was laying for me within the first couple days, the rest started laying beginning of September, and I believe the rooster to be at an age between the 2 hen age ranges. I was told her back was from too many roosters on the free ranging property she came from.
We put some blue coat and a little chicken saddle on her so the feathers would have a chance to grow back. They have not. Her wings have feather damage from wearing the saddle so long, and at one point it looked like they started coming back but they are gone again.
We have since dealt with mites where I treated with hand dusting them with diatomaceous earth as well as mixing it with clean sand in their run, followed by diluted ivermectin that I had on hand spraying the coop only because I couldn't find it it was safe to use on them. This was sprayed and dried with fresh bedding before they came back from free ranging for the night.
The following week I re-cleaned everything and sprinkled permethrin along the edges and cracks of the coop (it is a smaller coop from family farm and home so free ranging has been a must, I am in the progress of building an 8*8 shed sized coop for these 5 and my 3 muskovys to share for winter) I scoop the coop regularly so it doesn't build up and rake the small run 1-2 times a week. (I lock it up at night to for safety but make sure they aren't forced in the small coop box) I have picked them up and checked feathers and vents multiple times I haven't seen mites in 4 weeks.
However all but one seems to be losing weight, my 2 gold laced wyandottes have needed their butts washed from poop buildup, some poop looks normal some looks like pure liquid. I have looked to the best of my ability and very limited knowledge and do not see worms.
But something is not right. They seem to be dropping weight, when I checked them over the one not getting her feathers back had very cold legs compared to the rest of them. They seem a bit more standoffish, even my sexlink that's always come running to see if I have snacks isn't acting herself and is now missing a small section of feathers from her back. I have seen what seems to be dander and they do itch like dry skin or some issue but like I said, I've been checking them very closely and have not found any more mites.
What can I do? I have called around, no vet in my county or the next one over sees chickens, nor can they recommend someone else when does.
I've waited over 6 years to finally be allowed to get my own chickens, I don't want to lose them due to unintentional poor care. (I have friends with chickens, none of them have dealt with any of this so they can only guess too)
They are on an all flock feed so I don't have to get special feed for ducks, which I have just started learning how to ferment and they also get random supplements of either scratch grains, wild bird seed, dried bugs, or cracked corn to keep things interesting and try to be well rounded... We also sometimes share fruits and veggies for a boost.

Thank you so much for reading this far and for any help you can share.
Posting pictures of the cause of my potential overreaction.

Attachments

• KIMG1615.JPG
    KIMG1615.JPG
    852.6 KB · Views: 18
  • KIMG1643.JPG
    KIMG1643.JPG
    615.8 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG1642.JPG
    KIMG1642.JPG
    700.6 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1640.JPG
    KIMG1640.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1639.JPG
    KIMG1639.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1638.JPG
    KIMG1638.JPG
    600.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1636.JPG
    KIMG1636.JPG
    742.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1635.JPG
    KIMG1635.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1632.JPG
    KIMG1632.JPG
    575.9 KB · Views: 4
  • KIMG1631.JPG
    KIMG1631.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1630.JPG
    KIMG1630.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1627.JPG
    KIMG1627.JPG
    744.6 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1626.JPG
    KIMG1626.JPG
    706.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1621.JPG
    KIMG1621.JPG
    697.1 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1618.JPG
    KIMG1618.JPG
    762.6 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1617.JPG
    KIMG1617.JPG
    763.6 KB · Views: 5
Here are some pictures from the first couple weeks I had them. Hopefully the difference will show.
They aren't as close up and sadly show my handsome boy more than the girls.

Attachments

• KIMG1289.JPG
    KIMG1289.JPG
    874.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1290.JPG
    KIMG1290.JPG
    782.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1293.JPG
    KIMG1293.JPG
    790.1 KB · Views: 5
Hello! I'm so sorry that your chickens health is worrying you so. They are special pets. It can be stressful to see them not feeling well.

Would you be able to ask a vet if they can do a fecal test to determine if there are worms? Can you search for a farm vet or livestock vet?

Are they molting? A molt can affect your chicken's friendliness. It's uncomfortable for them so it makes them less sociable.

The hen with the bald patch may not grow her feathers back in if she is still getting mated, regardless of the chicken saddle. She might benefit from being apart from the rooster for a while.

Do they have access to feed and grit 24/7? Do you give them clean water daily? What brand of feed are you using? (I don't know anything about all flock feed but maybe someone else who sees this will be able to give advice)

Do they have access to feed and grit 24/7? Do you give them clean water daily? What brand of feed are you using? (I don't know anything about all flock feed but maybe someone else who sees this will be able to give advice)
All flock has more protein than later feed. I don't think it would attribute to poor health unless the feed was spoiled in some way.
My chickens are healthier when they have access to it.
Grit would probably make the feed more available biologically. if it's not being offered it would be wise to add it.

This is the best I had for today, unfortunately none of it is fresh, it would be yesterday morning, overnight to about 11am today when I let them out to free range. They have access to food and water 24/7 water is a 3 gallon chicken waterer that is refilled every 2-4 days but is dumped and rinsed multiple times a day because apparently that's an awesome perch and we must poop from all our perches. The wet blob in the sand dirt area is one of the diarrhea spots that I got this morning. Unfortunately we have no vets in the area for chickens at all... I will call a couple vets next week to see if they'll do a fecal sample anyway but they didn't offer last time I called.
I included a picture of the feed I'm using at this time as primary, I have started fermenting it and they are eating more in one sitting before being let out in our 5acres. They can always go back to it and do sometimes when going to the nest boxes to lay their eggs.
Thank you again for any and all input.

Attachments

• KIMG1645.JPG
    KIMG1645.JPG
    896.5 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1647.JPG
    KIMG1647.JPG
    622 KB · Views: 4
  • KIMG1648.JPG
    KIMG1648.JPG
    680.9 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1649.JPG
    KIMG1649.JPG
    661.4 KB · Views: 5
  • KIMG1646.JPG
    KIMG1646.JPG
    571.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220930-193049.png
    Screenshot_20220930-193049.png
    807.3 KB · Views: 5
I recently added oyster shells and grit but they also have access to a gravel driveway and seem to prefer it.

The poop looks fine to me. hens that are laying can loose weight, but I believe you if you say they are acting poorly . If your hens just started laying they wont molt until next year so it's not that. Is the rooster looking poorly too? Except for one pic that might have been too bright, there combs looked good. I assume there breathing is fine? eyes look fine? Pick them up and listen. It sounds like you are very conscientious and doing your best. Unfortunately we all know the frustration of the ailing hen that doesnt speak english. I'd be inclined to think worms too since they are eating ok. You can get layer booster, electrolytes for water. In not sure how much good any of it is but I doubt it hurts. I'd also give them some layer pellet because it's cheap and why not. DE Is good for worms too ( or at least never did mine any harm). If you don't have corid, antibiotics wormer etc on hand being a new chicken owner you might want to stock up. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom