missSimon

Hatching
May 12, 2016
Hello peeps
My chicken was sitting on eggs but sadly something got her I took her eggs and put them under a heat lamp but I made sure they didn't get to hot she had 11 eggs I saved 4 of them they are now rolling around (exciting) but when do they usually hatch after they start rolling

Hello peeps
My chicken was sitting on eggs but sadly something got her I took her eggs and put them under a heat lamp but I made sure they didn't get to hot she had 11 eggs I saved 4 of them they are now rolling around (exciting) but when do they usually hatch after they start rolling
welcome-byc.gif
Any idea what day they are on?

The 25 or 26 of April
So that would put them around day 17. Which according to the Cobb development chart is the period they position themselves, head under wing in preparation for hatch. It's not unusual to see movement at day 17/18 and then quiet for 2 or 3 days until they start the pipping process. If your temps are where they should be (around 101F taken near the tops of the eggs) it should be at least another 2-4 days before they actually hatch. If your temps are running warmer but not warm enough to kill them, then you could see action in the next day or two.

I don't know how familiar you are with hatching, but they need a higher humidity during the hatching process to keep from the membranes drying out and gluing or in extreme circumstances shrink wrap.

welcome-byc.gif
Any idea what day they are on?
hey I had to open my incubator on day 20 for my chicks and 27 for my ducks. my incubator spiked like 110 and I couldn't get the temp down...I misted the duck eggs and while I had it open a little the humidity did not drop if anything it went up and then a chick pipped while I was trying to get the heat down...and I can't seem to get the temp right now...and will this kill this chick...the pip has a white membrane that is not pipped...should it be white or does that mean it is dry the hum. is between 60 and 70 right now

Last edited:
I can't get the temp above 96 and 97 since I got it down from 110 I candled a duck egg and a chick egg and they were still moving...and another pipped while I had it raised up a little to let out the heat. it was only up for a few seconds or minutes...I don't think the eggs had time to get that high....we will see

Last edited:
hey I had to open my incubator on day 20 for my chicks and 27 for my ducks. my incubator spiked like 110 and I couldn't get the temp down...I misted the duck eggs and while I had it open a little the humidity did not drop if anything it went up and then a chick pipped while I was trying to get the heat down...and I can't seem to get the temp right now...and will this kill this chick...the pip has a white membrane that is not pipped...should it be white or does that mean it is dry the hum. is between 60 and 70 right now

I can't get the temp above 96 and 97 since I got it down from 110 I candled a duck egg and a chick egg and they were still moving...and another pipped while I had it raised up a little to let out the heat. it was only up for a few seconds or minutes...I don't think the eggs had time to get that high....we will see
White papery (outter) membrane is what you want to see. That's a healthy membrane. If it turns yellowish/brown that's when it's getting dried out and possibly sticky. 60-70% is good. 70% is better if you have to open the bator. Hopefuly the spike was caught before the eggs got that warm. Hopefully the temps will stabilize. If you adjusted the heat down, then it may have been adjusted a bit too much. I hope it all evens out for you and the spike didn't hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom