Newly Hatched Chick Can't Stand

AIMEELEIGH

Songster
Mar 10, 2021
Ok, this chick couldn't make it out of its egg by itself. Had pipped for 36 hrs so I decided to unzip it. It was a thick olive egg so it was tough to even unzip. Then, it still had a hard time, but eventually made it out. That was 12 hours ago and it still can't stand. It's legs are out in front of it. Don't think it's straddle. It scoots around on its butt, which is super cute, but I'm worried. Any suggestions?

Ok, this chick couldn't make it out of its egg by itself. Had pipped for 36 hrs so I decided to unzip it. It was a thick olive egg so it was tough to even unzip. Then, it still had a hard time, but eventually made it out. That was 12 hours ago and it still can't stand. It's legs are out in front of it. Don't think it's straddle. It scoots around on its butt, which is super cute, but I'm worried. Any suggestions?
Does it have curled toes?

I've only had chicks with curled toes. Maybe ku could put the chick in a cup. The cup isn't big enough for the chick to sit in so it has to use its legs. It could be also be that the surface is slippery and the chick can't get traction. You can look at this. It might help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/newly-hatched-chick-cant-walk-help-with-photos.677326/
Ok, interesting news, I went to pick it up to put it in the cup and it stood up for a couple of seconds, which is improvement. Maybe it's still just super exhausted from getting out of the egg?

Ok, interesting news, I went to pick it up to put it in the cup and it stood up for a couple of seconds, which is improvement. Maybe it's still just super exhausted from getting out of the egg?
It definitely could have been tired. I'm glad it's doing better.

I have a similar assisted chick that is just over a week old. Was sure it would die as it did not stand or walk for 2-3 days. I gave it chick pedialyte from a dropper the first few days. Day four it was standing and taking small shaky steps. At a week it is running and ready to hold its own with its siblings. I hope you have similar success!

Back
Top Bottom