1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newly hatched chick with leg issues.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick-chick gal, Apr 24, 2016.

1. chick-chick gal

chick-chick gal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This baby hatched in the middle of the night and has some leg and feet issues. I know what to do for the crooked toes but I'm not sure about his legs. It doesn't seem like like splay leg to me compared to other pics I have seen. One leg is completely straight and won't bend. Anyone that can help?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It looks like those are deformed :( I hate to say it but you probably won't be able to fix that. The hock joint on one leg is bending the completely wrong way and it sounds like from your description the other one might be fused. You can try to keep it alive but it would definitely be special needs for the rest of its life and probably unable to walk. The other option would be to humanely euthanize. Perhaps someone else will have more advice but I'm really not sure there's much you can do :(

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    X2. I agree with Pyxis. It will most likely be impossible for it to walk once it puts on weight. So sorry. :hugs.

4. chick-chick gal

Aug 3, 2015

I was worried that was going to be the answer. I've never had to euthanize before and I'm heartbroken. I don't want my little chick to suffer though. Thank you for the honest advice.

5. chick-chick gal

Aug 3, 2015
    It breaks my heart to hear this but I was worried that was the case. Thank you for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by