Newly hatched chick with leg issues.

chick-chick gal

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2015

This baby hatched in the middle of the night and has some leg and feet issues. I know what to do for the crooked toes but I'm not sure about his legs. It doesn't seem like like splay leg to me compared to other pics I have seen. One leg is completely straight and won't bend. Anyone that can help?

It looks like those are deformed :( I hate to say it but you probably won't be able to fix that. The hock joint on one leg is bending the completely wrong way and it sounds like from your description the other one might be fused. You can try to keep it alive but it would definitely be special needs for the rest of its life and probably unable to walk. The other option would be to humanely euthanize. Perhaps someone else will have more advice but I'm really not sure there's much you can do :(

It looks like those are deformed :( I hate to say it but you probably won't be able to fix that. The hock joint on one leg is bending the completely wrong way and it sounds like from your description the other one might be fused. You can try to keep it alive but it would definitely be special needs for the rest of its life and probably unable to walk. The other option would be to humanely euthanize. Perhaps someone else will have more advice but I'm really not sure there's much you can do :(

X2. I agree with Pyxis. It will most likely be impossible for it to walk once it puts on weight. So sorry. :hugs.

X2. I agree with Pyxis. It will most likely be impossible for it to walk once it puts on weight. So sorry. :hugs.

I was worried that was going to be the answer. I've never had to euthanize before and I'm heartbroken. I don't want my little chick to suffer though. Thank you for the honest advice.

Back
Top Bottom