Newspapers in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chick2chicken, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Chick2chicken

Chick2chicken Chirping

Mar 19, 2017
    Canada
    Hello!
    So the other day while I was drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. I realized how much newspaper gets thrown away each day! so I was wondering if it would work to replace my straw with newspaper shreddings? I took a stroll down to the coffee shop who said they would give me old newspapers for free! I then sat down and thought about how perhaps the ink would be bad for the chickens but then again we touch the newspaper all the time?
    If you use newspaper for a bedding or if you think it'd be safe please tell me cause it could safe me some money!
    Thanks!
    chick2chicken

Tiana's chickens likes this.
  2. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    If they aren't eating the newspaper, I don't see why it would be bad. I think it's a fantastic idea to recycle:)

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You could use it as part of the bedding, but it won't do well by itself. You will have a yucky mess! Consider adding a bit to the shavings and plant materials in the coop, and see how it works out.
    Mary

4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I wouldn't see a safety issue, but wet poop and newspaper don't mix well, IMO.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you thinking of shredding it?

Actually newspaper is one of the easiest things to recycle, most recycling centers take them.

I don't take the paper anymore but am still using some really old ones to line the bottom of the paper grocery bags I use in the kitchen garbage can.

6. Chick2chicken

Chick2chicken Chirping

Mar 19, 2017
    Canada
    I am now using a mixture of newspaper shredings and straw seems to be working!
    :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: