Newtown, Conn School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable tragedy that I believe has rocked our nation to the core. I work with troubled teens most of whom have been
neglected, abused and or abandoned. I was with them when the news broke and my heart sank, my eyes filled with tears.
All I wanted to do was go home and get my 6 y.o. grandson from school and hug him. I new he was safe and chose to
stay with the girls who have very few healthy people in their lives. Many of them deal with tragedy as if it is common.

My throat has a lump in it as I type. I believe, as I'm sure many do, that Our children are our most precious gifts. We
never know how long we will be with them. We are gifted by their unconditional love. Somehow and for unknown reasons
some of our "precious gifts" never get what most of us have taken for granted in our lives. I am amazed an humbled by
what the children I work with choose to share with me and what they are working to overcome. My heart is broken today
for the extreme sadness of Newtown, CT.

I don't know many children with autism or aspergers but those that I do know do not seem to have the propensity to carry
something like this out. It appears to me that Mental illness would be at the root of this and I agree with the others that
more must be done in our society to support awareness on this condition. So many still treat it like a dirty secret. When
we can accept that it just is another disease that should not be judged or have stigma attached it seems we will be heading
in a different direction than we currently are.

Thank you for allowing me to vent. this is just one person's opinion who spends my days with beautiful children with
broken spirits. The loss of 20 beautiful, healthy children at the hands of one broken spirit is overwhelming to me!!

In my opinion the biggest problem exposed by this tragedy isn't guns or gun control, security in the schools or lack thereof...it's the attention to/care of people with mental illness which is pitifully inadequate in this country. Too many people need help and can't get it...too many people are left to wander at will and nothing done about them until they do something to hurt themselves or someone else. I don't know what the solution is but it sickens me to think that the shooter got enough attention for the "experts" to learn that he had autism or Aspbergers or OCD or whatever, but nobody could figure out that he was a tragedy waiting to happen.

And with all respect to Mr. Winters, I hope you're wrong about that "man in the sky" because somebody is going to have to heal those parents' hearts, and I don't think anyone on earth is up to the task.
very well said. Part of the desperate need to improve our culture is to improve our mental health system, and even our health care system period, physical and mental illness can drive people to do horrible things

There little to no mental health system in the US anymore. Cousin tried to kill his self 2 weeks ago an was home the next day. Tried again last week an is back home now.
Part of the problem is that our country has had such a history of horrible abuse done on those who were forcibly committed, as well as being forcibly committed then kept against their will, even if they have gotten better, that people are reluctant to forcibly commit people any more.

As a child that was forced into such a system (I was suffering from depression,a tempted suicide, and angry outbursts as a child due to abuse from a family member) and was further mistreated in the mental health system, I myself am very leery of giving doctors too much control, as well as believing we need to help lift the stigma on those who have been in the mental health system.

Remove the stigma, and more people are more willing to get help, and if abuses occur, it is easier for the abused to report without the fear of not being believed because they were "crazy" That's why I am so open about my past, the stigma needs to be removed. Sorry got of on a rant here.

This is an act of pure evil and transcends psychology and therapy. It reminds me of the personnification of evil portrayed by the Joker in the Batman movie with Heath Ledger. I really know no way of dealing with these people that are on the fringes, only maybe identify them at best.

The answer that I could only offer is to make our schools more safe than they are now somehow.

It was very difficult watching the news tonight especially the pictures of the mothers talking to a policeman with no kid in their arms... very very sad day.

I will say my 2 cents (or three or four cents) and be done with it. Firstly, my prayers are with the families, friends and other loved ones of those who have been lost via this senseless act. That being said, I have an opinion just like anyone else. I'm not saying mental illness does not exist. I know it exists because my own father was a diagnosed schizophrenic. However, I think the claims of "mental instability" and "temporary insanity" are all too often used as escape routes and donkeys with the pin in the tail. Many times when crimes this heinous are committed, the "average" human being automatically starts wondering about the mental state of the suspect or the accused. We do this as an auto-mechanism because surely "nobody in their right mind would commit such a dastardly act of cowardice and malevolence - they must be unstable." Acquaintances of accused and suspected criminals often come creeping out of the wallpaper to say, "I knew there was something 'not quite right' about him," or "he was always a quiet one, very different from others," or "he never did fit in with the other kids," and the quotes go on. I believe oftentimes people make these sentiments up (I am guilty of doing the same regarding an accused criminal in my hometown), to give some sort of understandable or justifiable "reason" for why they did what they did. It's easier for people to make sense out of something senseless, even when that "sense" is false.

The plain and simple truth is that there are completely sane, educated, and mentally stable people all over the world who are pure evil, plain and simple. That is simply who they are and there is no justification or sense to be made out of it at all. Some people feed off the potential worldwide (or even nationwide) fame that might come from killing somebody; that doesn't necessarily make them "mentally unstable".

I think if the day ever comes when the media stops releasing any pictures, names or information regarding the guilty - that would be the day that senseless crimes such as this one would reduce by epic proportions.

I'm not saying this young man was sane, nor am I saying he wasn't. I'm simply saying that the "mentally unstable" story can only be told so many times before it begins to resonate through the courtrooms with stagnant redundancy and a stench.

If people want mental illness to be taken as a real and true disease and disorder (which it is) then perhaps they should start by weeding out the ones who are falsely claiming it as their own alibi, as well as weeding out the ones who choose to give anyone who is guilty of a jaw-dropping, unfathomable crime...the automatic benefit of "oh, they must not be mentally sound".

To me, this is nothing more and nothing less than a completely senseless and horrendously devastating tragedy...one that will not be forgotten nor forgiven by many....for a long time. And oftentimes there is no need to "figure out why".

jmo

Last edited:
This man deserves to go to the pits of hell. ( sorry if being offensive to anyone ) while I was watching this on the news, what made me snap was the pic of a mom getting out of her car on the phone... The look on her face , the devastation, the lifeless heart in her... She lost her kid! The one she carried around and raised! The man who did this is a SICK, DISGUSTING person. The school was an elementary school, lots of young lives lost... I've prayed for about an hour straight today....
In the last month... These have happened to me:
Friend got shot and died ( not involved in THIS shooting ),
Friends husband died,
( same one who's husband died ) got breast cancer and had to get BOTH removed,
And then
This of course :(

The things that people do.
The devil NEVER sleeps so watch out he is always trying to get you to turn away from Christ.

Always have faith my friends :) - hugs -

I am lost for words ! Twenty flames were taken and snuffed out because one person felt that he had the right to ? These young kids had there whole life ahead of them and they are gone ! The adults that died were also taken to soon ! This has impacted everyone that heard it ,I have a ten year old and my heart sank when I thought how this could easily happen anywhere ! My prayers to those who are in a world of disbelief and loss

This is just so awful. I think its time that America banned owning guns now. This just happens time and time again - America has the highest rate of school shootings in the WORLD!

Why does America have these shootings, and also the highest rates of child abuse in the world? America prison population also dwarfs that of other counties? Why? America is also the most Christian country in the world - yet with all the prayers and godliness it seems to have the most problems with morals and society.

this is nothing to do with devils or God, its about society - and someone in government needs to be brave and start making radical changes for the better if these shootings are to stop - I am sorry to say sitting about praying and giving out sympathy is not going to sort out these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom