Next Door Neighbor's Dog, Please Help

It's in a dog instinct to hunt and kill. Some breeds have been bred away from that, while strengthening their guarding instinct, others have been bred to strengthen their killing instinct. It all depends on the breed. but either way, no matter what the breed, the owners should be taking responsibility for their dogs actions, seeing as the dog can't

Definately the owners fault for not controlling the dog. I have 9 dogs who have been bred for centuries to hunt for themselves. They are major predators. By using sturdy fencing and electric fencing, I have managed to keep them all separated successfully.

You need to get the ACO and or law enforcement involved in this. Those people owe you for each and every bird their dog killed or injured.

Quote:
EXACTLY

We suffer ALL the time, my family being made up of a 4 yr old, a 6 yr old, and an 12 yr old who loves the chickens, and would problably take a bullet for them

Forget calling animal control. Since you have talke to the neighbor and
they do not seem to care take care of the problem. There is no
free pass for the first time a dog gets loose and kills your livestock
unless you choose to give the free pass yourself.
Texas has state laws in place for this situation. Use them to your advantage.
I had the same problem and did let it go the first time only because I was not
home when it happened. Since then it is shoot on sight. I am talking about dogs that have to come 1/2
a mile minimum to get to my property.
Here is your Texas law on dogs killing livestock.

§ 822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals

(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

CREDIT(S)

Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Renumbered from V.T.C.A., Health & Safety Code § 822.033 and amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

[Sections 822.014 to 822.020 reserved for expansion]

This happen to me sunday before last I wrote a letter, spoke to the neighbors, then it happen again. We do not have animal control in our area. Pretty much its every man/woman for them self. The owner told me to keep my chickens off the ground, I told him keep his dog off my property. He shot the dog in front of my little children and then screamed at me is this what I wanted. Out of anger I said " Yes it is " but truly it sickened me to the point my stomach was churning for it to be done the way it was and for my children to have to see such a thing not once but twice he shot the dog in the stomach and then in the head. My kids described it said the dog was shaking convulsing I guess. I hate that my children had to see something like that at their age.

The neighbors still blames me. My chickens was in a pen the dog ripped the metal wiring it was welded wire not chicken wire ripped it off the wood to get to my chickens.

So far I have only lost 7 to two of their dogs both dogs are now gone, but he has a pit bull that is smack up against to my property line on the other side of the fence.

He will not move the dog and I have no right to tell him what he can and cant do on his own property.

Being out in the country not much here to protect us , we dont have leash laws, and no animal control. When a dog is out of control and attacking sheriffs will come out but they have to see the dog in the act to take actions other wise its our word against the owners. I will be taking classes soon to learn how to shoot a riffle, my husband isn't always here most of the time its just me and the kids here so I have to do something to take care of whats mine. We are also using traps in the event this ever happens again.
They wont be getting their dog back!

I am sorry but I must agree with shooting the dog. One or two chicken loses may be one thing but 78 and the neighbors don't care and you are loosing too much money. I would shoot it if it were me. At this point you should just consider it another predator like a coon or coyote killing your birds.

we live on large acreage, and so does our neighbors

This was in response to the suggestion of fencing. Why living on large acreage precludes fencing a certain area, I'm not sure. Honestly, this thread has gone on since June and the OP has received plenty of suggestions as to how to stop the slaughter of his/her chickens. Hopefully, she will take one of these suggestions and run with it. If not, there is nothing the members here can do for her/him. The number of chickens slaughtered is approaching 100, a huge number in my opinion. I think it's time to get down to business or get rid of the rest of the birds until the situation can be resolved. JMHO.​

Back
Top Bottom