Niacin Retailers

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
Hey guys, forgive me if I have missed a previous thread on this. But I was wondering if we could compile a list of any good retailers (online) of niacin in the form that ducks need it. I know you can get the standard niacin capsules for humans but sure this isn't the same. Also, the quantities and how to feed it to ducks. This would be a great help . And if I have made the silly mistake of starting an old thread please be kind and redirect me. PS. I LOVE MY DUCKIES SOOOOOOO MUCH! Im so glad I found this forum as my friends and family just don't understand how amazingly amazing ducks are! Love you guys! Thanks for any help I receive.
big_smile.png

No company actually manufactures a product specifically for ducks- so any list will still be for a product made for humans- with human dosages on the packs. While their may be a recommended dose for ducks- when adding a capsule to the water- how does anyone know how much the ducks are drinking- and how much is wasted. Ensuring ducklings get a balanced diet from the feed provided is a better way than wasting money on capsules that may not be needed. It is the heavier faster growing birds that are more likely to need any kind of supplementation, Pekins Aylesbury and Rouens - other birds are less likely to show symptoms of niacin deficiency such as bowed legs. There are multi vitamin powders available for poultry that will contain niacin.

These are all great suggestions THANK-YOU!
bow.gif
, I ask this because one of my ducks, 31 days old now, has developed a shake, she will run around, then sit down with her feet sticking out forward, and then sit there for a while, as if to rest, does this sound like niacin deficiency or something else?
idunno.gif

Would you know where I could get hold of some in the UK? My local pet stores, and my not so local ones , dont sale it! Do you know of any online stores (UK) I could get some from?

I just posted in your other thread too, but wanted to chime in here. Niacin deficiency is a very common cause of shaky legs, and easy to treat. You don't need special 'duck' niacin--human capsules will work fine. And putting it in the water does work fine--it's worked for me and it's suggested by Dave Holderread, the leading waterfowl expert in the US (and among the top in the world). But the other methods (as outlined in your other thread) work just fine too (and are also suggested by Holderread). Just be sure to keep the dosage within approximately 150 mg per gallon (give or take 50 mg either way).

Use whichever method is easiest for you. If niacin is the culprit, you will begin to see results in one to two days.

A fourth option is to buy feed that is formulated for waterfowl, but they are hard to find. Mazuri makes a good one, and Purina makes a feed called Purina Flock Raiser that is supposedly very good (but it's NOT the same as their standard Purina chick feed, so be careful to get the right one).

I would be cautious about putting the niacin powder directly on the food, as it would be difficult to get the dosage right, but others have had success that way so it may work for you.

Of course, there are other things that can cause shaky legs. If you have an avian vet, you might want to have them chime in as well. If you treat the niacin deficiency and are not seeing improvement in one to two days, then you'll need to investigate other possibilities.

Good luck to your little one! Hope you're able to find a niacin solution that works well for you.

Aw thank you so much! Im a little worried for two reasons. 1: I have no vets within my area that treat birds of any kind AND 2: I love my duckies so much I hate seeing them not ok, I hope its not hurting her having shaky legs. Im going to hunt down some Niacin from a local health store and give that a go. I hope it does work otherwise I have to travel a long way to have her looked at, obviously it will be worth the journey but i would love to get it sorted myself. Thank you for all your advice and help with this guys, you have been a great help!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom