No crow rooster collar death beware

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Arod6179, Sep 14, 2017.

1. N F C

N F C Oh no Mr. Bill!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sorry for your loss.

2. Sara Ranch

Sara Ranch Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    *hugs*

3. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
  4. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your roo. Unfortunately, I've heard of this happening to others as well :(

5. ZombieMadHatter

ZombieMadHatter In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2018
    I have those for my boys we are allowed to have roosters but the neighbors on one side are real a-holes. I tried rehoming the boys but no one wanted them (I didn't want to get rid of them but at the time it was my only option) this morning I went out and found my one roo gasping and he had thick mucous all over his face. I quickly brought him in removed the collar and cleaned him up. He seems fine now but omg I was terrified and nearly in tears thinking I was going to lose my big bratty rooster. The other 3 seem fine and I checked their collars and they are looser than his was apparently (I check them twice a week sometimes more so when I'm able to be outside with them and not freezing)
    It's a buyer beware thing and sorry for your loss. I almost lost mine today and feel like it was negligence on my part but know you did everything you could.

6. keringordon

keringordon Chirping

May 2, 2018
    Casa Grande, AZ
    i WAS JUST THINKING OF GETTING SOME COLLARS ALTHOUGH i WOULD NEVER PUT ONE ON MY Dog or cats. Sorry for the caps I just noticed. I was also thinking of getting them neutered....they are so loud...I guess i will stick to hosing them down...they are kind of jerks anyway. The hens are fine...four out of six roosters are just so annoying. Sorry for your loss...but he stopped me from getting them.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Or, maybe just find them a new home if you don’t like the crowing? That would seem to be a better option than punishing them for doing what roosters do.

8. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome back to BYC! :frow
    Bear hugs to you for the loss of your Roo! :hugs

9. Chickenbrainiac

Chickenbrainiac In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2019
    Sorry for your loss, but some no crow reviews I found online argued it chokes cocks to death and some users says it doesn't.

Based on my own experience, it has been finde with my roosters. I have 5 and all of them are doing well with the collar on. They crow, but not just loud enough to disturb me or my sleeping neigbors.

It could most likely be that you applied a bit too much pressure in the neck region and that can and will cause your cock to choke on his food.

Also, next time, try to introduce it to him gradually so he gets used to it.

rjohns39 and drumstick diva like this.
  10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. :hugs
    Those collars should come with a warning that death is a very real possibility and it can happen at any time. It appears to me that everything can start out okay and then days, weeks, or even months later, your rooster is dead. I hope that by you sharing your horrible experience here, others will not suffer the same fate.

rjohns39, 007Sean and drumstick diva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: