No Crow Rooster Collar

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FeatheryFriend5, May 17, 2017.

1. FeatheryFriend5

FeatheryFriend5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Hello to the Backyard Chicken Community!,
    I'm just curious, I have a Plymouth Rock rooster "Barry", he's about five months old, and unfortunately, the neighbours are having a bit of a conniption as a result of his constant crowing. Anyway, I was just wondering if I could apply the No Crow Rooster Collar on him at night and then just remove it in the morning. Also, while I'm gathering it's quite easy to apply, I am just a bit concerned that it'll agitate him.
    Anyway, any advice would be appreciated,
    Hope you're all doing well ^^
    - Gemma
    ♡☆*•.¸¸☾ ★

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I have never tried a no-crow-collar....

However, I have heard it is less effective after they have learned to crow.

Best solution in your case would be to put him in a darkened crate at night...let him out in the morning after most people are awake.

3. FeatheryFriend5

FeatheryFriend5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Thank you ^^
    Also, I was just wondering, can you remove the No Crow Rooster Collar, or does it have to stay on permanently? After all, he just needs it for the night, in the morning he's okay to do what he pleases.
    Hope you're all doing well!!

biophiliac likes this.
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Supposedly, once they learn that they can crow.... they work hard to crow, and the collar just muffles the sound a bit.

That is why it is most effective if you start to use it before he learns how great it is to crow.

biophiliac likes this.
  5. bookwormofdune

bookwormofdune Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    I use one on my silky roo. He's worn it for atleast 6 months with no problems. I do check on it every couple weeks. He still crows but it is a lot quieter.

biophiliac likes this.
  6. adrikeen

adrikeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Newark Delaware
    Hi all....long time lurker and just now posting. I just put a No Crow Collar on my Seebright rooster. He's about 11 weeks but has been crowing for about 2-3 now and he's getting louder and longer with it. He's had it on for most of the evening but he's spent most of that trying to get it off! He did manage to remove the yellow label. :barnie He's in our Florida room until I'm sure he is ok with it (and to not annoy the neighbors). Will see how it goes....

biophiliac likes this.
  7. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Having used one briefly I think it would be a bit aggravating for both you and the bird to put the collar on everyday as it requires perfect adjustment. Taking it off is easier:D.

If you do decide to try it you may like to know there is another brand from Australia called the 'Cock Collar' that comes in more sizes and some say is more comfortable for the bird.

And finally be aware there are risks to the bird. There is a longer thread on this topic on this site that you could check out for more first hand experiences both positive and negative of members. (I'll try to find the link and put here, unless you already know about it?) Good Luck:D

link added:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/no-crow-rooster-collar.906916/

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Alaskan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by