No Egg Song?

kathleengp

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
My first girl started laying Saturday, took Sunday off, and then gave an egg a day every day since. This morning I went out to try to catch the act (and verify my suspicion of who was laying).

Well after all kinds of noise walking around in circles in the nest, leaving the nest and annoying everyone else with noise and pecking, back in the nest and arranging straw forever, she just sat and then stood up a bit and I heard a "plop" and saw the egg between her legs. No noise at all from her! No noise afterward, just 2-3 minutes of quietly arranging straw and then out she went without a peep and back to everyone else but quiet and polite this time.

Strange....I thought they made a fuss when they laid and got excited afterward? She was noisy before she laid, but it was like "bwwwooooorrrrrrrrrk, work, work, work." (at least that's what it sounded like to me - lol).

She's a 27 week old RSL. Do some chickens lay quietly?

I'm no expert but thought I would post since I have two that started laying, one 11/15 and one on 11/25. Mine are like yours, no egg song, fidgety, pacing and a bit noisey just prior to getting in the nest box. I can hear a bit of vocals at times when in the nest but it is soft spoken. Once the egg is laid, they saunter out into the run. They both missed a day or two since first egg but other than that everyday thereafter. Actually I am pleased they are so quiet as I am in a residential neighborhood incognito
smile.png

Congrats on your first egg!

Some of mine are quiet and some are loud. Although my RSL was the loudest of them all, so she might get loud. I swear that my RSL knew that if she did her egg song at 6:30AM that I would come running for an egg that was not there, and she would get let out of the coop. It was so loud that it would wake me up with all the windows closed in the house.

They do get more vocal before they lay. My light brahma will walk around with her brawk, brawk sounds. She will pace and wait impatiently if "her" nest box is occupied. She will occasionally do the egg song.

My EE just purrs to herself, no song.

My RIR, BR and BO love to sing their song.

My rooster does it for them, when he sees one on the nest he starts it up. There's two who will "help" him, only one does it for herself, the rest stay quiet.

My EE lays nearly every day, but she never says a word. If I catch her on the nest, I can hear a soft twittering. It's a welcome relief, compared to the loud squawking and boking from the others.

yeah, i have two very funny BOs. when one is in the box the other one is bawk bawkin away doin the song for the other one laying! i think she's lonely and trying to help her along so she'll come out of the box and join her in bug finding! I need to get another chicken or two since my tiny flock is down to two after an illness and a roo leaving. i think they need a friend while one is busy laying an egg, cause boy is she vocal when her best friend is just laying in the box tryin to concentrate! " hurry up... get out of there already... i need you to follow me around... bawk bawk bawk!"
lol.png

I have alittle of both in my flock, my Light brahmas don't make alot of fuss, some of the blacksex link don't make a noise, but then the others all make up for the quiet ones.....lol
at 6:30 am this morning I recieved 9 beautiful eggs, but 6 pm tonight that will have increased to 23-27 eggs.
They have 6 nest boxes and only use 2....not the same level or even close together. They are a strange bunch.

woot.gif

thumbsup.gif

Congratulations on your Egg!
woot.gif

wee.gif

The only time mine ever make a noise over a "burr burr" is

A.) when I come into the yard with something REALLY good

B.) when they find something really good in the dirt, which is just silly announcing it, because than they have to run around and hide it. But they totally announce the find of worms and bugs.

Back
Top Bottom