No eggs YET!!!

smokeykk

Songster
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
My chicken Chrissy is at least 20 weeks old by now and still no eggs.
She clucks alot and has a big red comb and wattles and she also is squatting but still no eggs. Is something seeming wrong here to anyone. She has been squatting for at least 2 weeks now....
sad.png

What breed is she? The heavier breeds lay a lot later than the smaller breeds. My Aussies didn't start laying til their 24th or 25th week, and one girl didn't lay till she was 27 weeks old!! But it sounds like your girl is gearing up for that first egg soon with the squatting and clucking. Hang in there, it will be well worth the wait!

Last edited:
i have barred rocks and RIRs and they both just started to lay at 25 weeks.
some still havent so just give her time.. also is she pinned or free ranged she could be hiding them all over the yard if shes free.

My white leghorn laid her first egg today. She is 24 weeks +. My EE has yet to lay an egg, and is around 27-28 weeks. She has been squatting with a red comb for well over a month.

patience.... How do u start a new thread i cant find it lol... if anybody could help please thank you.

I can relate. Mine were at 22 weeks and I was getting anxious. But one of my BSL's laid an egg last week. I'm getting one a day from her. The other 2 BLSs and the 2 Buff Orps haven't even started to squat yet. I'm anxious for them to catch up and get busy.

Quote:
Just open the desired forum topic, lets say Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying, at the top right of the column you will see the second blue bar and a yellow and blue "Post a New Topic" thingy. Click on that.
smile.png

Maybe she's laid already? Listen for "bok bok BOK bok bok BOK bok bok BOK BOK BOK bok bok bok BOKKK" That's the egg song, some sing it before, some sing it after. One of mine sings while the other lays.
roll.png

She could have laid in a hidden nest; so look out. One of my hens also likes to nest, while the other doesn't. The other one just sits, lays her egg, and leaves. The one that nests drags in a bunch of sticks, feathers, newspaper, etc.

Another thing to look for is scratching. That's what my non-nester does. (small backyard flock of two pullets, if one ever goes broody, I'll get more!
jumpy.gif
) She will squat down, and turn in circles while scratching with her feet. Or just wander around your yard, checking everything and anything that's covered. Under bushes, in a flower pot, etc.

Back
Top Bottom