No eggs

Mamamorey

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
Hello
I recently acquired 2cuckoo Marians from a hatchery. These were breeding hens, 1 year old. I have had them for a week and they have laid no eggs. The poor things look very scruffy and are skittish beyond belief. Do you think I should be concerned, or are they just stressed and need time to settle in. I had them together at the beginning, but one bloodied the other so they are separated now. Any ideas?
Feeling buyers remorse at the moment.

Curious as to why they would sell "breeding" birds at 12 months old....unless they are rejects/culls for some reason.<scratcheshead>

Another thought, if you are in the northern hemisphere the days are shortening and laying will cease anyway....plus they may have been under artificial lighting so the change to normal daylight would have a huge affect.

Give them time to settle in. Get them on a good diet, a nice nest box, and tlc and hopefully they'll come around. Unfortunately, getting older hens may be a bit older than you were told. Also, hybrid breeds tend to burn out quicker than other breeds.

Curious as to why they would sell "breeding" birds at 12 months old....unless they are rejects/culls for some reason.<scratcheshead>

Another thought, if you are in the northern hemisphere the days are shortening and laying will cease anyway....plus they may have been under artificial lighting so the change to normal daylight would have a huge affect.
My understanding is they only use them for 6 months, by the look of them, it’s a mercy! Good point about the light! I don’t use any extra light and they probably did, we are in the North, so that makes sense!

It is also possible they were in separate areas so being together they may not know each other.

Can you post a few pictures?
They may be malnourished from where they came from or even much older than advertised. There are very a lot of very knowledgeable members that can perhaps give an opinion on their condition and how best to help them.

It is also possible they were in separate areas so being together they may not know each other.

Can you post a few pictures?
They may be malnourished from where they came from or even much older than advertised. There are very a lot of very knowledgeable members that can perhaps give an opinion on their condition and how best to help them.

This is the best I have, they are too stressed to get much closer. The one in the cage is missing most of her back and bum feathers.
342D9C85-464E-482E-9C38-B4730BB0FF66.jpeg

I don't have any advice but I feel bad for you and your girls.
Hello
I recently acquired 2cuckoo Marians from a hatchery. These were breeding hens, 1 year old. I have had them for a week and they have laid no eggs. The poor things look very scruffy and are skittish beyond belief. Do you think I should be concerned, or are they just stressed and need time to settle in. I had them together at the beginning, but one bloodied the other so they are separated now. Any ideas?
Feeling buyers remorse at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom