No one wants to be Sally's friend :(

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
Sally is my oldest hen, She is 2 1/2, a NH red. very friendly, and pretty much the queen.
Well for over a month I have had her and Luna (my batam cochin) pen, next to my ducks and smaller chickens pen, so they can get to know each other between the fence.

Luna went broody and barely appears (Sally and luna has been together for a 1 1/2 years)
So Sally hasn't had much of a playmate.
I noticed lately Sally has been seeming sad making noises when she is in her pen coming right up to the fence where the others are trying to take a look.

I have started putting my two very little ones I still have indoors ,outside to get to know all of them, but through fencing, I decided Sally was good to go to meet them inside her fencing, and she was happy, she did the normal booping of the butt to them but never hard, never attacking them, just her normal way, never all all times, more curious. Of course the little ones were little scared but there was no need for me to break them up, I stood in the coops for awhile, and when I left the coop I stayed within 25 feet.

Today I decided it was time to put the two pens together, cleaned, rearranged lets everyone roam free while I did it, Sally was so excited, she had playmates, she went over to join them (4 ducks, and 2 younger chickens, about 3 months, same as the ducks)
She walked over, not ran, not making noises, and they all walked away from her, every time she tried to join them they would move away.

I know it is new to them all to have this larger chicken actually together with them, and I know they probably get used to it. I just felt so bad for her, but happy that she finally isn't alone.
I'm actually happy she is going to have a chicken the same size as her (hazel my maran)

That's her in the front of the pic, and those are everyone else going no thank you.
and my poor little bantam Cochin in the background who is just trying to get the hang of the pecking order (they are actually Luna's little ones I hatched)

chickens2.jpg

chickens4.jpg

Ya know what's funny, is izzy my little polish crested, tries to boss my little ones, but her and Sally come face to face and they look for a min and give a light boop on the beak and off they go, like it couldn't be a lighter boop more like a kiss lol.

I think it will be a big happy family once they all get used to the new situation, we are in the middle of building a new coop with enclosed pen out of our shed.

anyone else ever had the same issue where another chicken gets shunned?

Integration is never simple or easy. I’d give them special treats so they have to come together... maybe some fruit or bread ... they will slowly get closer together as they get used to each other . I think it’s great for Sally and the little ones will get used to her

I have four chickens that are 19 weeks, 2 buff orps and two black sex links. They grew up together and were always friends. About two weeks ago, three of them really had their combs and wattles come in, and one is way behind, with no comb or wattles. That one is getting left out now. When they are in the coop, the three will roost together and the one is on her own roost. When they are free ranging, they run away from her. She doesn't seem too bothered by it yet.

Thanks all,
I do have 2 separate feeders and waterer's I made sure I didn't take anyone's stuff away they consider theirs (ya know how ladies can be LOL)

Ya know littlemisscountry, I think I feel more bad for her than she does lol. I think she is just happy to be out and about with others nearby

I am in contoocook NH well seasoned.. always nice to bump into another person from NH.

Snow, I think the treat idea is something I will try, they get treats everyday, they know they color of the plate I bring out and what's on it and they come running, curious how that will go with my ducks and Sally as the ducks inhale their food as fast as possible and don't hesitate to push the little ones out of the way with their bill.

Thanks all,
I do have 2 separate feeders and waterer's I made sure I didn't take anyone's stuff away they consider theirs (ya know how ladies can be LOL)

Ya know littlemisscountry, I think I feel more bad for her than she does lol. I think she is just happy to be out and about with others nearby

I am in contoocook NH well seasoned.. always nice to bump into another person from NH.

Snow, I think the treat idea is something I will try, they get treats everyday, they know they color of the plate I bring out and what's on it and they come running, curious how that will go with my ducks and Sally as the ducks inhale their food as fast as possible and don't hesitate to push the little ones out of the way with their bill.

Nice, between Whitefield and twin mountain here.

Back
Top Bottom