No veggies?

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
Are my chickens the only ones that don't like veggies? I'm giving them a mix of broccoli, Brussel sprouts, bell peppers, etc
They peck a little bit but everything is mostly left as it was when I presented it to them. They are only 3 months if that makes a difference.
Also they have crumble available 24/7. Do you guys throw their food on the floor so they search for it, or give it to them in a feed container?

They peck a little bit but everything is mostly left as it was when I presented it to them. They are only 3 months if that makes a difference.
They're sampling, to decide whether or not to eat what you're offering. Sometimes they decide quickly, sometimes it requires a few test sessions if they're not keen on the taste but it doesn't disgust them either; sometimes it's acceptable to some and not to others, and at some times of year and not others. And because they have no older bird to guide them, they've got to go through the trial-and-error process with everything.

As others have noted, the particular veg you're offering are not known as popular options. Try tomato, cucumber, banana, and see how they go down.

If they have access to a yard they will eat grass. Also dandelion leaves, lamb's quarters, plantain, all of which are better and easier for them to eat than what you are offering.

If they have access to a yard they will eat grass. Also dandelion leaves, lamb's quarters, plantain, all of which are better and easier for them to eat than what you are offering.
they have lots of grass and dandelions! I thought they needed more. Wanted them to get use to veggies so they can eat during the winter.

Also they have crumble available 24/7. Do you guys throw their food on the floor so they search for it, or give it to them in a feed container?
Most people give it to them in a feeder. We chose to offer it to them in a feeder at all times except when they are free ranging. (we let them out for about 30 minutes per day)
We take the feeder down at night when we close them in the coop; we put it in a bin in our garage so it doesn't attract rodents.

Are my chickens the only ones that don't like veggies? I'm giving them a mix of broccoli, Brussel sprouts, bell peppers, etc
We give them zucchini and cucumbers often (not so often that they have heath problems, just small portions) and they love them; they also love fruits and berries. We have never given them broccoli, brussels sprouts, or bell peppers.
They peck a little bit but everything is mostly left as it was when I presented it to them
Ours do this sometimes; I guess chickens can just be picky birds! :)

Hope this helps; good luck @SamIamNam786 :frow

Back
Top Bottom