GracieJ

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Wales, UK
Hello,

I have five male and two female call ducks and they are my babies!! However, my two females, mainly the youngest one (6mnths old) are 'calling' nearly all of the time, every 20/30 mins or so. At first I thought it was hilarious and cute (and I still do) but now I'm worried neighbours will complain because they call when I leave them out in the morning 6am and then again at 9am and then through out the day at intervals! The males aren't that noisy because they don't have the high pitched ' ha ha ha' laugh lol!

Any ideas on why they call very frequently? They get a constant supply of fresh food and water...lots of lettuce...they like to have me there with them too but I can't be there 24/7.

I have absolutely no intention of rehoming my females either, I just want to know if any one has any ideas as to how I could subdue them a little? I'm a bit worried I might come home one day and my uncle has taken my females (on the orders of my mother). They have plenty of pools with fresh water, mud to dig through, worms to eat...a huge garden to roam too! Thanks in advance.

Yep the girls can be loud! :p

At 6 months, are the drakes chasing the girls? That many drakes are going to be hard on your hens.

They may just need to be conditioned to you not being around so much. Mine quack loudly when they hear me coming out the back door. They are usually wanting out of their pen. Otherwise they are fairly quiet, so I’m not sure why else yours would quack all the time, unless the boys are too rambunctious for them, or they just miss you. :idunno

Yep the girls can be loud! :p

At 6 months, are the drakes chasing the girls? That many drakes are going to be hard on your hens.

They may just need to be conditioned to you not being around so much. Mine quack loudly when they hear me coming out the back door. They are usually wanting out of their pen. Otherwise they are fairly quiet, so I’m not sure why else yours would quack all the time, unless the boys are too rambunctious for them, or they just miss you. :idunno

Haha yes they are certainly loud but I don't mind it personally! just worried about neighbours. :D No, at this point in time, they just follow the females everywhere like body guards but no chasing. When it comes to mating I'll be splitting them up for the hens' safety. Though Myrtle has to stay with her 'husband'. You're probably right in that they need getting used to me not being there all of the time. When they call now I just go out and throw some chopped up lettuce at them and they are happy lol. Thank you x

Oh the other times mine will quack loud is if the group gets separated in the yard and can’t see each other. They call to gather the group back together.
Yes that's a good point too! They may be
They are named 'Calls' for a reason. They were bred to be vocal as an attractant for wild ducks - sort of a living decoy. I agree with @WVduckchick that 5 drakes and 2 hens is a problem waiting to start.

Yes thank you I know that :) I was just wondering if I could be doing something to help settle them that is all and as I have stated above, when mating season comes, they are separated, but thanks anyway :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom