Okay I obviously posted a 'stupid question'. thank you anyway.

Don’t think that way. I actually had to think about what makes mine quack most often, so definitely not a stupid question.

I think they may also have you trained to bring them treats. :D

Not a dumb question, it's a concern I have also. I have a female khaki and she's very loud. My girlfriend thought the loud cackling was cute until she started doing it more and more. I realized we were encouraging the behavior by interacting with her when we heard it. Even walking by a window where they can see can trigger her cackle so I put curtains up so she can't see us.

She does it when.. she wants out of the coop. Wants out of the run, when she wants food or water, or when she can hear us or see us through the backyard windows.

To correct this we have started to ignore her calls but try to make sure all the triggers are covered and that she has the stuff she needs. If she does cackle we ignore it until she stops for 5 minutes then we'll go out and address any triggering issues. I don't want her thinking she can cackle like that and we'll come running everytime. It seems to be improving.

Yep.. Calls, call.. lol
Mine call when the group is seperated, when they are hungry, when they see people.. and sometimes I swear they have their own Comedy Catch after dark.. one tells a joke and the others just quack up..:D
I agree with others, you may very well be encouraging them by running out with treats. And the you may have problems with the boys later on.
And absolutely NOT a dumb question... i had to think about it a bit too.. like WV I hadnt really thought about the whens and whys..;)

Haha yes they are certainly loud but I don't mind it personally! just worried about neighbours. :D No, at this point in time, they just follow the females everywhere like body guards but no chasing. When it comes to mating I'll be splitting them up for the hens' safety. Though Myrtle has to stay with her 'husband'. You're probably right in that they need getting used to me not being there all of the time. When they call now I just go out and throw some chopped up lettuce at them and they are happy lol. Thank you x
Lol. . others have already said what I was going to say. . giving treats when they are noisy may be encouraging more quacking ;)

They are named 'Calls' for a reason. They were bred to be vocal as an attractant for wild ducks - sort of a living decoy. I agree with @WVduckchick that 5 drakes and 2 hens is a problem waiting to start.
Yep. They are a breed bred to be loud for sure. :p

Okay I obviously posted a 'stupid question'. thank you anyway.
Not at all. Its a concern I've had as well where I live. I worry about complaints as well and have tried to take note of what makes them go off and when.
And I've learned mine call for all the same reasons as everyone else has already stated.
The only thing I might add as an observation is I have noticed that my younger females take a spell of being extra quacky in weeks leading up to them starting to lay, and has tapered off quite a bit now. I wonder if some of it is the change they feel in their bodies that they don't understand yet and they are complaining about it :gig

Mine are quiet most of the day. Noisey in the mornings for a bit. . then loud again in the evenings during the time they know I usually come out to give them attention and treats. :lol:
If I am late to make their salad supper they tell me about it.
If they want their water cleaned they tell me about it. I am being "enslaved by ducks" lol.

Do you have the capacity to cover her cage with a blanket to block her view when she incessantly honks? If you can do that without making them too hot, it might make her stop.

Back
Top Bottom