Noisy hen!

lfisher56

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2019
Hi!
I am new to raising hens so forgive me for my novice question. I have three hens that I've raised since they were pullets. My Barred Rock is definitely the boss. The problem is, whenever I walk over to the coop (where they all can see me), she squawks SO VERY LOUDLY. And she doesn't stop. If I am there for 20 minutes, she will squawk for the entire time, without stopping. The other two hens are quiet. I don't think she is warning them of danger. She runs toward me when she sees me, perhaps telling her sisters that "food has arrived." I usually give them a bit to eat when I go to clean their coop, etc. She has always been really noisy, even as a little one.
I am worried that our neighbors will run out of patience with her. Seriously, it is so loud you can hear it down the street, and it just doesn't stop. Any advice? Should I rehome her? If I do, will her sisters become just as loud? My kids and I used to enjoy spending time with the chickens, but she is so loud, it is hard to be around them anymore.

Any advice is appreciated!

My guess is she's excited to see you because you = food. You can try NOT treating them whenever you go out, but she might just be a more excitable bird and prone to making noise regardless. Nothing wrong with that, but if it's a bother to you, you could try rehoming her.

I usually give them a bit to eat when I go to clean their coop, etc.
So these are extra 'treats'...not their regular feed which is always available?

She only does this when you are out there...or all the time?
I might suggest you spend more time out there, just sitting until she gets used to you?

Back
Top Bottom