non-leathal hawk deterant

Will a fake owl act as a deterrent? Hubby called me today saying he heard the girls going crazy...he thought one was going to lay an egg. Luckily he looked out the window and saw a hawk (one that has been hanging around for a few weeks) sitting on top of the run ( it's inclosed PVC pipe un with chicken wire covering all sides). He ran outside and told me there was nothing available except for a large umbrella I had by the back door. By now the hawk had flown down and was walking along the run....girls going crazy. He went out swinging the umbrella and the hawk flew to the neighbors yard then back to a tree in our yard. He said he opened the back door to the coop and 4 of the girls were all trying to lay together in a nesting box and the one he calls "the fat one" was pacing back and forth in the run giving the hawk the stink eye and squawking. I have been worried about this hawk, he took down a falcon last week...not sure what to do except keep the girls locked up.

I had a hawk bust in going for my Chochins faster than I have ever seen a critter move in my life. Had I knew he was coming and knew right where to see him coming I couldn't have put a shotgun on him fast enough. This bird came in a 100 mpg it seemed missed his target and was gone scared the crap out of the girls and poor Cowboy , he jumped out in the open to save the hens and I jumped up scaring the hawk as he passed my nose by a foot and missed the rooster. I was so proud of Cowboy he really "Cowboy'd Up". Saved his hens. He's the coolest dud on the farm and we love him a lot.

Ive never seen a hawk roost long enough to get a shot and when they attack by surprise a shotgun is worthless. So legal or otherwise is sort of a moot issue.

8122011ChickensintheGarden009.jpg

Last edited:
My chickens free range in my orchard... so the hawks can't really get at them. I am also very lucky to have two little VERY angry birds that attack the hawks from the top of a nearby redwood tree every time they get anywhere nearby. There is also a little jacket that you can buy that will supposedly protect them from attacks. It is called the hen saver... but my chickens refuse to wear it.

For hawks walking around on top of the runs, put something solid on top of the run. Maybe a light weight tarp. If the hawk can't see the chickens he has no reason to be on the coop.

I have netting on top of my pen. I haven't been letting my gang free-range since a Cooper's attacked and killed one of my Leghorns on Friday.

The chicks have my huge holly bush as hawk protection, and there's also a lot of crows around here. I always see them chasing BOP away. Still, to be on the safe side, I'd rather be out there with them when they're free-ranging. Hawks are migrating now, and I'm pretty sure the one that got my Leghorn was migrating and simply saw an opportunity.

Last edited:
Quote:
this is common misconception but here is what FWS says about it

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf

read the instructions skip down to number 5 to see what is legal

thanks for that aprophet.i got pretty much the same responce from SCDNR this morning.the bean bags are out,however ,said the 12 ga blanks were ok.guess they fall under pyrotechnics.

I use these folks sometimes for control need as they arise here is some of what is available for help with birds

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies....=CTGY&Store_Code=NWS001&Category_Code=WCS2600

HTH you might check in with you state DNR sometimes local regs are different the USFW

I've strung monofilament fish line over much of my chicken yard that seems to have slowed down the Cooper hawks. The best way to deter them is to attract crows. Hawks tend to be a big problem this time of year since they are migrating through and the leaves are off the trees so the chickens can't hide. My rooster keeps a fairly good eye out for them and gets his girls under cover if they are around.

Back
Top Bottom