NON STOP crowing!

If you don't like the crowing, I recommend a now-crow collar or trying to teach him to quieten down some. Mine, a rooster and cockerel, don't crow that much considering the likelyhood that they should, but when they do I first show them the collar, and if that doesn't work, I put the collars on them.

They hate the collar, no matter how many times they wear it to try and get used to it, they just do not like it, so I have taken to using it as a 'if you don't shush you will wear it' threat. I also try to ignore them when they crow and not give them attention barring the collar if they persist, as they use it to get my attention.

I only give them the attention they want, eg, cuddles and treats, when they are quiet. I don't mind the crowing myself, I enjoy it, but the council don't like it and so I gotta keep their noise down if I wish to keep them.

My question is, who's chickens are they - yours or your mom's? If they're hers and it's her property (who has the title and who pays the taxes?), it's not your place to tell her what to do. Deal with it. If it's your chickens on your property, do the poor guy a favor and either find him a new home or put him in the freezer and don't get another one.

He did just start crowing like this, he's a late March chick so he is just reaching maturity I think. I have NO problem with a rooster crowing, that's why I decided to keep him and he is a good boy. I DO have a problem with a rooster that literally crows every 2-3 min ALLL day starting at 430am. They've got 4 acres to roam, him and his 25 girls. They are only cooped at night.

My question is, who's chickens are they - yours or your mom's? If they're hers and it's her property (who has the title and who pays the taxes?), it's not your place to tell her what to do. Deal with it. If it's your chickens on your property, do the poor guy a favor and either find him a new home or put him in the freezer and don't get another one.
They are our chickens that roam between our two properties (they have about a half acre and sold us 4 1/2)

He did just start crowing like this, he's a late March chick so he is just reaching maturity I think. I have NO problem with a rooster crowing, that's why I decided to keep him and he is a good boy. I DO have a problem with a rooster that literally crows every 2-3 min ALLL day starting at 430am. They've got 4 acres to roam, him and his 25 girls. They are only cooped at night.

Do as I do when you get a no-crow collar, as my cockerel and rooster really seem to dislike the no-crow collar... Once he knows what it is, and what it means from putting it on him after he crows, he'll shush at the mere sight of it to avoid having it put on him. He may crow every now and then, but shouldn't crow as frequently as he used to.

You could also possibly take him into a coop or in the house if he crows, keeping him inside for a bit and then let him out. Rinse and repeat every time he crows and it should lead to the same result, as they prefer to be outside than inside and associate the crowing with something they don't like.

So they belong to both of you? That does make it a little harder. Personally, I like hearing my roosters crow, but I realize not everyone enjoys the same things in life. It's so common that it's become more background noise than anything. (But DH and I raised 3 sons so I learned to tune out a lot, too) I have never used a no crow collar on my birds but have read that it prevents them from getting enough air to crow. I watch my dad struggle to breathe with his COPD, and while it's not the same, the idea of restricting the breathing of a human or animal bothers me. But as I said, I have only read about them. I haven't actually seen for myself how they work.

X2

So they belong to both of you? That does make it a little harder. Personally, I like hearing my roosters crow, but I realize not everyone enjoys the same things in life. It's so common that it's become more background noise than anything. (But DH and I raised 3 sons so I learned to tune out a lot, too) I have never used a no crow collar on my birds but have read that it prevents them from getting enough air to crow. I watch my dad struggle to breathe with his COPD, and while it's not the same, the idea of restricting the breathing of a human or animal bothers me. But as I said, I have only read about them. I haven't actually seen for myself how they work.

It doesn't restrict the breathing, the rooster can still do all his normal vocalizations, breathe, eat, drink and other roostery things. It is just when they crow, they let out all the air at once from the lungs and airsacs, which makes it louder and the throat expands to allow for it to all escape at once. When the collar is on, it stops the throat from expanding to that degree so the airflow during the otherwise loud crow gets slowed so it doesn't all come out at once, leading to a more quieter crow.

I've had roosters before and have NEVER had one crow this much. Is it normal? I'm seriously ready to chop his head off

He is (presumingly) young as he only started crowing, so he'll flaunt his 'manliness' as much as he can. I did suggest ways to quieten him down or make the crowing less frequent.

Back
Top Bottom