North Carolina

It doesn't sound stupid to me. Sounds like you love yours just as much as alot of us do on here. I'm new to raising chickens and don't know a whole lot about them. Especially the fighting chickens. But it seems like he'd enjoy free ranging. I know you hate to let him go but seems like he'd be happier with lots of room to explore. And you could so visit since it's your sister I would think. Good luck and I hope everything works out for the best.

Hey there everyone! popping in for some help/advice....

so im hatching with one of my broodies for a third time now. just on day 3 she took 2 eggs from her nest and rolled them all the way across the coop to another corner so she wouldnt sit on them. one was a clear, the other im not sure...i saw veining the other day but now i see its not as good of veining as the other eggs that are moving..its also a tad watery looking and i havent looked long enough for movement.
isnt it crazy when they know there are duds?

now, on day 7, my other two silkies have decided to join all the fun. they are piled upon each other splitting the 6 eggs. im hoping they dont break them, but honestly i have no idea what to do when i separate for hatching. i normally move my broody thats hatching but everyone is sitting...LOL

have anyone had any luck hatching and leaving the chicks and hen in the coop? there are 3 broodies, one off and on broody and a rooster. thoughts?

have anyone had any luck hatching and leaving the chicks and hen in the coop? there are 3 broodies, one off and on broody and a rooster. thoughts?

I hatched 33 chicks and 5 ducklings this year in the coop. The first ones I tried to separate and the momma was giving me issues, so after that I just let them go. The only issue I had was it set a pattern, first one, then two then five broodies. (I started sharing eggs so I wouldn't have a hundred babies running around.)

Now a majority of my chickens are bantam and cochins so they are calm and mellow, so that may play a role.

Janelle

[COLOR=333333]Hey there everyone! popping in for some help/advice....[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]so im hatching with one of my broodies for a third time now. just on day 3 she took 2 eggs from her nest and rolled them all the way across the coop to another corner so she wouldnt sit on them. one was a clear, the other im not sure...i saw veining the other day but now i see its not as good of veining as the other eggs that are moving..its also a tad watery looking and i havent looked long enough for movement. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]isnt it crazy when they know there are duds?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]now, on day 7, my other two silkies have decided to join all the fun. they are piled upon each other splitting the 6 eggs. im hoping they dont break them, but honestly i have no idea what to do when i separate for hatching. i normally move my broody thats hatching but everyone is sitting...LOL[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]have anyone had any luck hatching and leaving the chicks and hen in the coop? there are 3 broodies, one off and on broody and a rooster. thoughts?[/COLOR]

Yes. I had 5 hatch out in the barn yesterday. I confess to beinging them in with mama last night, though. The broody on the second nest left to eat and when my girls went to check, there was a snake {looked like a coppeehead, but I wasn't home} eating the eggs. The first mama and her babies were out ranging. That one mama is seriously fierce. She got all over Jumbo {head roo} when he examined one of the babies.

Mama #2 is in the coop on the rest of the eggs. The primary reason we brought them up is because we've had a hawk hanging around the last few days. The crows ran it off yesterday, but it'll be back....

They'll have supervised outside time for a while right now.

Yes. I had 5 hatch out in the barn yesterday. I confess to beinging them in with mama last night, though. The broody on the second nest left to eat and when my girls went to check, there was a snake {looked like a coppeehead, but I wasn't home} eating the eggs. The first mama and her babies were out ranging. That one mama is seriously fierce. She got all over Jumbo {head roo} when he examined one of the babies.

Mama #2 is in the coop on the rest of the eggs. The primary reason we brought them up is because we've had a hawk hanging around the last few days. The crows ran it off yesterday, but it'll be back....

And last year, I had 10 broodies taking up real estate. I don't think my silkie firls were not broody last year.
1f601.png
Collectively, they hatched out a good number of guinea eggs.

I was so worried last year when we let mama and babies outside for the first couple times. We have Coopers hawks all over here, I know we had a nesting pair last year near our house. They haven't caused any troubles with our adults, but I was terrified they would go after a chick. I've seen them catch a robin off the ground before.

Does anyone within a few hours of 28540 have any blue laced red wyandottes? I just had a batch that yielded 3 chicks and I would like to add some of similar age to my flock. Can you pm me please? I'm willing to drive a ways. Thanks y'all.

Back
Top Bottom