North Carolina

welcome-byc.gif
No clue where Pittsboro is, but welcome all the same!!
frow.gif
When you get situated on here, please be sure to tell us what you have (or want) and eventually share photos of your chickens!!

Pittsboro nc

A late morning to you all, some rain this morning but supposedto be nice this afternoon here.......

Partridge Silkie chicks are getting the night transfer tonight, it is going to be warm so they shoul be fine! Only another 11 to move next week.....

and the 26 chicks are growing well....

Good morning everyone! Had a nice day yesterday, went to a fellow byc'ers house and played with her chickens, and drooled over her coop!
Got a busy day today, going to rebuild my roosts and nest boxes and scrub my coop down.
7 days til my broody's eggs hatch!
Hope everyone has a great day!

Does anyone near me have any hens for sale? I am interested in Cochins, Orpingtons, Turkens, Frizzles, Favorelles, Ameracaunas, EEs, Barred Rocks or Marans. Must be LF. I would love to have some different color variety in my flock and I know I need more hens to balance the hen/roo ratio. My flock right now is predominantly red/brown so I would love something that was a different color than that. I want hens vs chicks since I figure hens will be easier to integrate than chicks right now. Hens can be laying or close to laying. PM me what you have, prices and location please. Maybe I can get DH to agree on getting a few more hens if I have all the specifics figured out.
roll.png
I know DH will not travel far for animals. So someone within a 30-45 minute drive would be ideal.
Right now we have 6 hens to 2 roosters. What is going to be the best ratio to make sure the hens don't get overused? Right now my hens are just starting to lay (2 out of 6 laying so far) and I know I saw my dominant roo mounting yesterday. I was thinking of adding maybe 4 more hens, would that be enough?

ETA: I have no problems taking culls from people either. I know there are some of you here that show and cull lots for that reason and there are some of you that are working on projects and cull because of that. I want a pretty egg basket and a pretty flock. What we get doesn't have to fit standards perfectly.

Last edited:
Thank you. How is everyone? My first ever chicks turned two weeks old yesterday :celebrate   Im so excited to watch them grow. Id like to get into showing, are there any shows or fairs around that I could go to, to get a feel for it before theyre old enough?

There are 2 shows coming up, one on March 31st in Winston Salem. And then one on April 14th, in Greensboro. There is also going to be a Carolina Chickenstock on April 28th in Lincolnton.

does anyone near Chapel hill have Hens 4 sale ? young laying age.I 've got a friend wanting to start a flock

We were just in Pittsboro last night for a very informative chicken clinic put on by Dave and Christine Miller, the owners of Pittsboro Feed, and several excellent speakers including: Dan Campeau, an NC State Extension Area Specialized Agent who deals in poultry, and Don Schrider, a chicken expert and writer for such publications as Backyard Poultry, Chickens, and Hobby Farms. A very informative evening and well-attended too!

In answer to your question, though, Dave and Christine at Pittsboro Feed have lots of birds in stock right now and can most likely hook you up with some hens that are laying or that will be soon. They are at 1103 East Street and they're great folks (and they also happen to carry The Egg Yolk Chicken Tractors! ;-)). Let us know if you make the connection and welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom