North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
Good morning everyone. We have a mixed flock of 25, the standard feed store chicks. We did that for the variety, eggs and to see what breeds we like. This year I would like to start a separate breeding flock for meat. So, anyone in the area with a heritage breed I could get in touch with? I'm not sure exactly what breed I want yet, but speaking with a few breeders & BYC members sure would help. Thank you.

Good morning everyone. We have a mixed flock of 25, the standard feed store chicks. We did that for the variety, eggs and to see what breeds we like. This year I would like to start a separate breeding flock for meat. So, anyone in the area with a heritage breed I could get in touch with? I'm not sure exactly what breed I want yet, but speaking with a few breeders & BYC members sure would help. Thank you.
Good evening Arrakis,
For a good meat heritage breed, you might want to look into Dorkings. Nancy (@nanclapper ), out of Athol, is a breeder and her birds are absolutely beautiful and sturdy.
I really like the Dorkings for a few reasons. I have found online that they have EXCELLENT taste. Mine aren't old enough yet, but I can't wait!! Then, secondly, they are one of the oldest known breeds, with writings going back to 43 AD.

Nancy is on here, but not very often. I can get your her contact info if you're interested.

Ok, I'm back in for the EHAL. My new hygrometer is calibrated as are 2 thermometers. I'm going to get my incubator all clean and set up this weekend in preparation :)

Ok, I'm back in for the EHAL. My new hygrometer is calibrated as are 2 thermometers. I'm going to get my incubator all clean and set up this weekend in preparation
smile.png
I wish I was that controlled. I can't help myself, every egg I get I have to incubate. It's a small flock, but it's 1 or two eggs every day. Someday it'll be able to have an excess, but that's not going to be this month.

Ok, I'm back in for the EHAL. My new hygrometer is calibrated as are 2 thermometers. I'm going to get my incubator all clean and set up this weekend in preparation
smile.png
Yay! I hope all goes well. Out of 12 Red Star shipped eggs I have only one pip so far. lets hope it is a pullet!!!

I wish I was that controlled. I can't help myself, every egg I get I have to incubate. It's a small flock, but it's 1 or two eggs every day. Someday it'll be able to have an excess, but that's not going to be this month.
I am out of control! Of course it is at the urging of my DH.. LOL I am setting anything that is not dirty contaminated or totally mishaped...

Good evening Arrakis,
For a good meat heritage breed, you might want to look into Dorkings. Nancy (@nanclapper ), out of Athol, is a breeder and her birds are absolutely beautiful and sturdy.
I really like the Dorkings for a few reasons. I have found online that they have EXCELLENT taste. Mine aren't old enough yet, but I can't wait!! Then, secondly, they are one of the oldest known breeds, with writings going back to 43 AD.

Nancy is on here, but not very often. I can get your her contact info if you're interested.
Dorkings are one of the breeds I am interested in and just down the road in Athol..... perfect. I would very much like to get in touch with Nancy. Please send contact info when you get a chance and Thank You.

Back
Top Bottom