North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
Just thought I'd pop in and see who else is still around. I just introduced myself in the newcomers forum, if anybody wants to know more about me. (The kids have the computer right now, so I'm on my phone, and would rather not tap it all out with one finger. lol)

That said, I'm looking for hens and/or Pullets near laying and a good rooster to watch over them. We have a gorgeous five acre pasture with thigh-high grass, plenty of clover, and tons o bugs, but we also have a red-tailed hawk that likes to circle over every now and then. I'm planning on putting spruce-branch tepees out in a few places so they can take cover from the sun or the hawk.

Any tips on caring for a free range flock, other than locking them in the coop for a week to get them trained? Or could I just get the rooster first, keep him only in the coop & run, then give him some charges? Hmmmm....

Welcome, Annalea!!! Sounds like you have an awesome place ideal for chickens! The only bird I'm trying to get rid of right now is a Silkie rooster, which would be horrible for what you need ;) Hopefully someone will pipe in, but this thread is REALLY slow! You may look into the Eastern Washington thread ( on my phone so I can't see where you live). Good luck on your endeavor!

Thanks!

I actually put a deposit on some hens and a rooster that should do the job admirably. I've still got room for a couple more hens, so if I come across some more BA's, or some of the birds on my "pretty" list, I can bring them home.

Off to find the Eastern WA thread . . .

I just found this thread. I hope it is still active. I am living in Moses Lake. As you all know, E. WA is hot or it is cold. We just bought some land and I have my husband building me a coop this winter. I love you to hear what fares well in our weather.
Thanks.
-Michele

I am looking for silkie chicks(or hens or hatching eggs), any kind of quail. I would rather buy local then order online from a hatchery. Does anyone have any available?

Back
Top Bottom