Not laying

chubbchubb7

Songster
Apr 19, 2016
i have 5 Black australop hens. Every day we go out tothe coops/runs/pens. Every day we get eggs from everyone else, leghorns, silkies, the mix pen, but none from the australops. Every one gets fed the same things. Their combs are gorgeous red. What gives? Aren’t these girls supposed to be great layers?

i have 5 Black australop hens. Every day we go out tothe coops/runs/pens. Every day we get eggs from everyone else, leghorns, silkies, the mix pen, but none from the australops. Every one gets fed the same things. Their combs are gorgeous red. What gives? Aren’t these girls supposed to be great layers?

Its' hard to guess over the internet. Answers to BuffOrps' questions could help. I think you have five BA chickens in a separate pen and don't see any eggs from them. They all have bright red combs. Are you sure they are female and not male? That would be a simple explanation but it's usually not that easy.

You don't say where you are located, north or south of the equator. Since their combs are bright red this is unlikely but are they molting? The most common reason chickens are not laying is the molt.

Another common reason is that they are hiding a nest from you. Is that possible? They can be pretty good at hiding nests.

Something could be getting the eggs. Most critters that eat eggs leave evidence behind, broken shells or maybe a gooey mess. I don't know where you are located or what your egg eating predators might be. It is possible the chickens are cleaning up the broken shells but they are usually not that consistent. The most common critters that take eggs without leaving a trace are snakes, canines, or humans.

Snakes are not that consistent. They usually eat a few eggs (how many depends on size) then leave for a few days until they digest them, then come back for more. If there are never any eggs then it is not likely to be a snake. Canines like fox or coyote would likely be more interested in your chickens than the eggs if they had access but sometimes a dog will leave the chickens alone but eat eggs. Does a dog have access to that area? Could it be a human, either stealing the eggs or playing a practical joke on you?

There are other things that could possibly affect them so in addition to the other questions is anything different between the groups? Sometimes change can temporarily affect laying. How long has this been going on. How long have their combs been bright red? Five BA females with bright red combs should be producing some eggs in normal circumstances.

Is it possible that they are eating the eggs? It would be good to know what you feed because, if they are younger birds then they may still be growing or if they are in a molt or the beginnings trying to get more protein.

Live in north Florida. All the chicken pens are side by side and share a side. So I can’t imagine something getting these and not the others. No evidence left. Also it’s weird that one will lay if in a different pen. I put stuff for them to nest in but they wouldn’t use it...

These are the girls and their man
Oddly enough one laid yesterday in the pen next door when I was sorting chickens and had to put some of them in with the leghorns. There was one that would get in with them all the time and would lay in there

Attachments

• 533D3841-CA9B-4B18-B629-02D8C3901E10.jpeg
    533D3841-CA9B-4B18-B629-02D8C3901E10.jpeg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom