NOT OFFICIALLY SPRING YET, BUT IT IS IN PREDATORVILLE!

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
I have a motion light pointed on my coop. All week long it has been going on and off all night. The first night I noticed it, it was only my ferrell kitty lurking around. Then a little while later a raccoon was back there. I don't free range my girls and they are locked down tight at night from having bad experience in the past. So I got the live trap out, Caught the coon shot him and didn't clean up the blood, mistake on my part! But with the big slushy snow storm we just had I thought it would wash away. That night the light goes off again, I looked out and there was an even bigger coon around were I had left the blood from the last coon. And it hit me it smelled the blood. The next morning I go out and in the tree above my coop is a coopers hawk. It flew off. I let my girls out into their fully enclosed run. The coopers hawk came back that afternoon. I reset the live trap and last night the light went off I looked out and there was a big opossum there. This morning there is an opossum in the trap but it is not as big as the one I seen in the yard. Now I have to take care of this possum and reset the trap. for tonight. I am so glad I took extra precautions in predator proofing. One of the things I noticed is something tried to dig into the run. But once it hit the hardware cloth buried six inches down it gave up, and tried to push it's way through the cloth. No success! I am convinced if I had not taken such precautions I would not have a flock anymore. I am writing this to those that are thinking about starting to raise chickens. First and fore most you can not over predator proof your flock! And to all you newbies who started last year, Spring has sprung in the predator world beware! They are all out there mating and that means they are building an appetite! Don't let your flock be their next meal!

Ive noticed a lot of possums in my area this year. Ive gone after one but the last few days ive counted about 6 at various sizes down our stretch of road. Must be the Year of the Possum lol

Ive noticed a lot of possums in my area this year. ... ive counted about 6 at various sizes down our stretch of road. Must be the Year of the Possum lol

I bet that Its just the armadillos are trying to teach the possums how to cross the road.
th.gif
lau.gif

So far this year we've caught one giant raccoon. You can't tell from the picture but it's larger than both of my boston terriers.

Last year we caught stray cats, opossums, raccoons, and 4 skunks!

Then we caught this mean creature.

our poor polish chicken. She would get herself stuck in that trap on a daily basis. Until she got killed by a stray cat :(

Yeah I was thinking about all these predators that's why I waited a while before I started my flock because I wanted to see the animals I was up against, but you definately made some good points and I will get a live trap. I also wanted to eventually get a true Terrier working dog that would help watch over the flock since I'm big into training a police dog trainer gave me several suggestions and since I have a double yard I could keep that dog seperate from my dogs if need be.

For sure! I moved my trail cam to catch pics of rabbits that are leaving tracks all around my property. Well, no bunnies, but I caught a big coon & feral cat on it. Up here in Canada, I don't free range until snow is gone & weather warms up. No varmint has succeeded getting in the coop in over 3 years. Crossing my fingers!

Frustrating thing about predators is that even if you thin the population of wild life in your area, you can still be up against your neighbors cat that goes out door. Cute little fluffy will kill your chickens if they get to them. That is unless the trap gets them first............

Back
Top Bottom