Feb 23, 2019
South Coast, MA
So I've been using the Brinsea Mini II Advance to hatch out 12 Pharaoh Coturnix quail eggs. It's my first time so I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing. Temp is set at 99.6F no humidity sensor is included in this device. Turned them from day 2 to day 14, they came shipped.

I candled on day 14 and removed any that lit up like lightbulbs. I had 8 that were dark and put them all on lockdown. Late day 15 or early 16 one of them pipped. It is now day 17 and I haven't seen much more movement from that first egg. Others have started to pip as well.

I'm concerned that maybe the ones that have pipped should be zipping by now but something is going wrong? One of them has pipped on the large end, but facing the ground. Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_155730.jpg
    IMG_20200625_155730.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200624_163747~2.jpg
    IMG_20200624_163747~2.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 12
My target date after setting this type of egg is 18 days. Since it's obvious that you don't have an automatic turner, in future, place an object like a pencil or wine cork under one side of the incubator in the morning, and move it to the other side in the late afternoon. Do this daily until day 16. This will have the effect of turning all of the eggs at the same time, without opening the incubator, preserving precious humidity and maintaining a constant temperature. You can expect up to 24 hours between pipping stages, breaking out of their shell is hard work. You can further expect that once out, they'll spend a lot of time sleeping afterward. Food and water will not be necessary for a couple days after hatching, so don't fuss yourself with that.

My target date after setting this type of egg is 18 days. Since it's obvious that you don't have an automatic turner, in future, place an object like a pencil or wine cork under one side of the incubator in the morning, and move it to the other side in the late afternoon. Do this daily until day 16. This will have the effect of turning all of the eggs at the same time, without opening the incubator, preserving precious humidity and maintaining a constant temperature. You can expect up to 24 hours between pipping stages, breaking out of their shell is hard work. You can further expect that once out, they'll spend a lot of time sleeping afterward. Food and water will not be necessary for a couple days after hatching, so don't fuss yourself with that.

Sorry, completely forgot to mention I had an automatic turner for 12 quail eggs that came as an add on for the device. I removed it to add the non-slip bottom when I placed them on lockdown. Guess I just have to wait, I just hate the thought that there's something more I could be doing 🥺 Thank you so much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom