UPDATE: Okay, it's sour crop for sure. In my checks on her today, I'm now hearing the gurgling, and she has spit up some white fluid (we've been feeding her yogurt + garlic water, so it could be that).

Purchased some 2% miconazole today, starting the 1/2 inch of the cream 2x daily as per the instructions detailed out in other BYC Posts.

Should I keep her isolated?
Should she have access to grit?
What should I be feeding her in conjunction with the miconazole?

Thanks, all!
Hello, are you 100 percent sure it’s sour crop? If her crop empties out flat over night and in the morning it’s normal and nothing in it then it’s not sour crop . Also sour crop does not feel
Balloon like. It feels like pressing on clay real Thick mushy clay feel. The gurgling sound needs to be payed close attention to for making sure it’s not respiratory problem but it could have been do to picking her up and putting pressure on her crop making things come out. A true sign of impact or sour crop is if it’s full in the morning where she has no access to food or water over night. Check that first thing. If she has a full crop in the morning message me back and I’ll help you through it. Your on the right tract but few things to tweak if it’s in fact sour crop. If still rattling then I would lean to upper respiratory and also look up gape worm. Kinda rare for gape worm but just look it up . Good luck

Oh no!! Okay, won’t be doing that, thank you!
Any more updates? It sounds almost the EXACT same scenario with our 9 week old hen. And what I’ve been trying to do. I just got the miconazole cream today. How did you get it in her? A syringe? Forcing her mouth open?

Reading the comments here-especially the dosage is so helpful!

Any more updates? It sounds almost the EXACT same scenario with our 9 week old hen. And what I’ve been trying to do. I just got the miconazole cream today. How did you get it in her? A syringe? Forcing her mouth open?

When I had a hen with a fungal infection, I got the dose on my finger, forced her beak open, and scraped the meds on the inside of her beak. Then she'd eat it right up. I found it easier giving the cream than trying to administer liquid meds or even pills, imo.

I have been changing up the administration of the miconazole. I was able to add it to her greek yogurt or scrambled eggs for the first few doses, but I think she became aware of it, and got a little pickier with her food. Twice I've been able to squirt a little straight from the tube and get her to eat it (being mindful of the amount, of course).

We've been limiting her handling to only what is necessary, and she does seem to be improving!

For those in the Portland area, some avian vet updates for you!

Avian & Exotic Veterinary Care on Sandy, does accept new patients, booked about a month out. No idea on pricing.

Blue Door Veterinary Services, not accepting new patients.

Northwest Mobile Vet
, accepting new patients, booking out about two weeks. I asked for pricing quotes, attaching here!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 4.13.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 4.13.14 PM.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 8
Hello, are you 100 percent sure it’s sour crop? If her crop empties out flat over night and in the morning it’s normal and nothing in it then it’s not sour crop . Also sour crop does not feel
Balloon like. It feels like pressing on clay real Thick mushy clay feel. The gurgling sound needs to be payed close attention to for making sure it’s not respiratory problem but it could have been do to picking her up and putting pressure on her crop making things come out. A true sign of impact or sour crop is if it’s full in the morning where she has no access to food or water over night. Check that first thing. If she has a full crop in the morning message me back and I’ll help you through it. Your on the right tract but few things to tweak if it’s in fact sour crop. If still rattling then I would lean to upper respiratory and also look up gape worm. Kinda rare for gape worm but just look it up . Good luck
Not sure how I missed this message, but I appreciate you reaching out! I'll do some research on upper respiratory issues and gape worm.

Did you see replies to the thread you started today?

Just wanted to share an update on my Easter Egger with y'all.

Monday evening (5/16) was the "end" of her 7 day miconazole treatment, and it absolutely seemed to help! Her crop is back to emptying like normal, and she's back to eating her regular feed, as opposed to the special diet.

She is still doing the weird neck stretches & open mouth gasping, so we'll investigate into gape worm as someone mentioned, but, if it's gape worm, wouldn't that be highly transmissible to the other three gals in my flock?

Thanks all!

Just wanted to share an update on my Easter Egger with y'all.

Monday evening (5/16) was the "end" of her 7 day miconazole treatment, and it absolutely seemed to help! Her crop is back to emptying like normal, and she's back to eating her regular feed, as opposed to the special diet.

She is still doing the weird neck stretches & open mouth gasping, so we'll investigate into gape worm as someone mentioned, but, if it's gape worm, wouldn't that be highly transmissible to the other three gals in my flock?

Thanks all!
Glad to hear her crop is emptying.

If you want to treat for Gapeworm, then get some Safeguard liquid goat dewormer and treat her. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

A bird that has Gapeworm will generally gape all the time, will be coughing and most of the time they are unable to drink and eat.

Back
Top Bottom