Not sure what’s going on

Pics

Maryam.

Songster
Dec 22, 2017
Hi, I have a 3y.o female pekin called Cookie, she’s my pet duck and lives indoor.
Almost a month ago she suddenly started limping, exactly on the very day that I added levamisole to her water for worming. Her ankle was a little swollen but not like joint swelling, just a spot. I took X-ray from it, it was not injured & I asked for many vets opinions, no one had an answer they just prescribed meloxicam for a few days.
A week later after laying a soft shell egg I saw a drop of blood in her poop and maybe in the 2 or 3 poops after that then it stopped. I took her to vet and they didn’t find anything in her poop just a few but various kinds of bacteria. The vet prescribed Ciprofloxacin for 3days to prevent any possible infection in case there was an internal wound. The day after stopping antibiotics symptoms started, she lost her appetite completely, she became lethargic and looked uninterested, showed respiratory issues, she would pant all day which now I believe she had fever and she slept all day! Also Her behaviors became so weird suddenly. I guess she did had an ongoing illness that escalated once the antibiotics stopped..
She looked so weak so I took her to another vet, he checked her poop again but nothing showed. Anyway he injected 2 antibiotics for her right away and prescribed metronidazole for a week. She’s on day 6 of metronidazole now and seems much better now; although her appetite is not fully back yet but she’s looks way better . Also she has a green watery poop a few times a day, I’m not sure if it’s because not eating much or sth else. Its not neon green as I have seen neon green poop in my other duck before, when she had a severe systemic infection..
Today, again I found a drop of blood in her poop however it was about a needle point but I freaked out. I’m not sure what all these symptoms are but vets have no idea and I can’t keep giving her antibiotics as she was underweight already and has lost another 150 grams during the antibiotics course.
She had started molting before this but I’m not seeing any feather loss anymore, could a disease interrupt molting?😓 and she’s still limping..
I would be grateful to have your help or hear about your similar experiences.

P.S.
I rescued a domestic duck from a pond 4months ago and she lived with us about two weeks. I found worm (no idea what kind) in her poop but I treated her and cookie with levamisole immediately. They had shared food and water once or twice already. I have no idea what diseases could she carry or if there’s any possibility that sth was transmitted to Cookie.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a 3y.o female pekin called Cookie, she’s my pet duck and lives indoor.
Almost a month ago she suddenly started limping, exactly on the very day that I added levamisole to her water for worming. Her ankle was a little swollen but not like joint swelling, just a spot. I took X-ray from it, it was not injured & I asked for many vets opinions, no one had an answer they just prescribed meloxicam for a few days.
A week later after laying a soft shell egg I saw a drop of blood in her poop and maybe in the 2 or 3 poops after that then it stopped. I took her to vet and they didn’t find anything in her poop just a few but various kinds of bacteria. The vet prescribed Ciprofloxacin for 3days to prevent any possible infection in case there was an internal wound. The day after stopping antibiotics symptoms started, she lost her appetite completely, she became lethargic and looked uninterested, showed respiratory issues, she would pant all day which now I believe she had fever and she slept all day! Also Her behaviors became so weird suddenly. I guess she did had an ongoing illness that escalated once the antibiotics stopped..
She looked so weak so I took her to another vet, he checked her poop again but nothing showed. Anyway he injected 2 antibiotics for her right away and prescribed metronidazole for a week. She’s on day 6 of metronidazole now and seems much better now; although her appetite is not fully back yet but she’s looks better . Also she has a green watery poop a few times a day, I’m not sure if it’s because not eating much or sth else. Its not neon green as I have seen neon green poop in my other duck before, when she had a severe systemic infection..
Today, again I found a drop of blood in her poop however it was about a needle point but I freaked out. I’m not sure what all these symptoms are but vets have no idea and I can’t keep giving her antibiotics as she was underweight already and has lost another 150 grams during the antibiotics course.
She had started molting before this but I’m not seeing any feather loss anymore, could a disease interrupt molting?😓 and she’s still limping..
I would be grateful to have your help or hear about your similar experiences.

P.S.
I rescued a domestic duck from a pond 4months ago and she lived with us about two weeks. I found worm (no idea what kind) in her poop but I treated her and cookie with levamisole immediately. They had shared food and water once or twice already. I have no idea what diseases could she carry or if there’s any possibility that sth was transmitted to Cookie.
The green poop is most likely caused by the antibiotic. I wouldnt be concerned. Why are you worming if she is exclusively an inside bird? As for the limping she probably jumped off something and hurt her leg. Metronidazole can cause the respiratory symptoms you described. Cipro can cause neurological and nerve trouble. I've taken both and I get side effects from both. If you found a worm in the poo then yes deworm them both but have a fecal done. A standard dewormer can sometimes not work if its not the worm you are treating for. Have her eat some yogurt. The antibiotics are killing all the GOOD bacteria as well as the bad.

The green poop is most likely caused by the antibiotic. I wouldnt be concerned. Why are you worming if she is exclusively an inside bird? As for the limping she probably jumped off something and hurt her leg. Metronidazole can cause the respiratory symptoms you described. Cipro can cause neurological and nerve trouble. I've taken both and I get side effects from both. If you found a worm in the poo then yes deworm them both but have a fecal done. A standard dewormer can sometimes not work if its not the worm you are treating for. Have her eat some yogurt. The antibiotics are killing all the GOOD bacteria as well as the bad.
I’ve read somewhere metronidazole can cause red/brownish poop, but didn’t know about green poop.
I wormed her because she was in contact with the rescued duck a few times, I was too concerned as she wouldn’t gain weight in the past few months so I wormed her again a month ago .. I had no idea about respiratory side effects, will they go away after the course?
I’m adding probiotics to her food everyday but will give her yogurt as well. Thanks for mentioning it!
Her leg looked normal in the X-ray, I don’t think its an injury. It’s also a bit swollen.
The blood in the poop is something I’ve never dealt with before, I have no idea what’s the reason and why it’s happening once a week😓

I’ve read somewhere metronidazole can cause red/brownish poop, but didn’t know about green poop.
I wormed her because she was in contact with the rescued duck a few times, I was too concerned as she wouldn’t gain weight in the past few months so I wormed her again a month ago .. I had no idea about respiratory side effects, will they go away after the course?
I’m adding probiotics to her food everyday but will give her yogurt as well. Thanks for mentioning it!
Her leg looked normal in the X-ray, I don’t think its an injury. It’s also a bit swollen.
The blood in the poop is something I’ve never dealt with before, I have no idea what’s the reason and why it’s happening once a week😓
If shes having diarrhea a lot that could cause a small amount of blood. A small amount of blood every once in a blue moon is nothing to worry about. A large amount of blood or frequently is. Deworming a lot can be very stressful on the birds intestines. Same with antibiotics. Give the medicine as instructed and dont introduce anything without consulting with the vet. Probiotics and yogurt should be fine. If the leg isnt broken it's probably jist a sprain and it will go away. Have her soak in a warm epsom salt bath and see if the limping improves.

If shes having diarrhea a lot that could cause a small amount of blood. A small amount of blood every once in a blue moon is nothing to worry about. A large amount of blood or frequently is. Deworming a lot can be very stressful on the birds intestines. Same with antibiotics. Give the medicine as instructed and dont introduce anything without consulting with the vet. Probiotics and yogurt should be fine. If the leg isnt broken it's probably jist a sprain and it will go away. Have her soak in a warm epsom salt bath and see if the limping improves.
I was afraid that the blood might be indication of something serious, I’m so relieved now. Thank you ☺️
I didn’t deworm her without vet’s consult, actually it was the vet’s idea to deworm her every once in a while.
I will give her yogurt as well, thanks. Now that the antibiotics course has ended I’m gonna give her Bcomplex & multivitamin supplements to help her boost her immune system.
I soak her in lukewarm bath everyday. I’ve bought a new ointment that I have to apply to her leg for a week.
I really hope whatever is causing her pain goes away 🙏

An update**
So metronidazole was given to her for 7 days. I started probiotics, vitamins, electrolytes.. right away. She looks much better, her appetite is also much better but she still sleeps alot and she has yellow or green diarrhea a few times of a day while she doesn’t have cucumbers or kale or lettuce..
I haven’t seen blood in her poop yet, but it can be because she has tomatoes & watermelon and her poop is red sometimes.
I need to know about watery green poop . What could it be?

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of her feces?

Put simply, most antibiotics will kill good and bad bacteria, so after antibiotic therapy often times there are digestive related problems due to the lack of good bacteria and gut flora in the digestive tract. The yellow/green diarrhea might be an indicator of that. If she were mine, I might try giving some probiotics such as yogurt for a while and see if that resolves the problem. If it doesn't she may need further attention done.

Do you have a picture of her feces?

Put simply, most antibiotics will kill good and bad bacteria, so after antibiotic therapy often times there are digestive related problems due to the lack of good bacteria and gut flora in the digestive tract. The yellow/green diarrhea might be an indicator of that. If she were mine, I might try giving some probiotics such as yogurt for a while and see if that resolves the problem. If it doesn't she may need further attention done.
I’ve been adding probiotics to her water/food for a week now, do I continue it? She doesn’t eat yogurt on her own but I give to her with syringe sometimes . I’m also giving her multivitamin/calcium/ Bcomplex supplements, however I’m not sure if the infection is totally gone; is it a right call?
Sorry for the pictures🙏 she poops like this a few times a day.
3F1E93B4-2008-4EC0-963E-9C187C460D4A.jpeg
96EF19F4-74A1-4632-8F2C-5519DFF50A25.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom