Not sure what’s going on

Pics

Maryam.

Songster
Dec 22, 2017
Hi, I have a 3y.o female pekin called Cookie, she’s my pet duck and lives indoor.
Almost a month ago she suddenly started limping, exactly on the very day that I added levamisole to her water for worming. Her ankle was a little swollen but not like joint swelling, just a spot. I took X-ray from it, it was not injured & I asked for many vets opinions, no one had an answer they just prescribed meloxicam for a few days.
A week later after laying a soft shell egg I saw a drop of blood in her poop and maybe in the 2 or 3 poops after that then it stopped. I took her to vet and they didn’t find anything in her poop just a few but various kinds of bacteria. The vet prescribed Ciprofloxacin for 3days to prevent any possible infection in case there was an internal wound. The day after stopping antibiotics symptoms started, she lost her appetite completely, she became lethargic and looked uninterested, showed respiratory issues, she would pant all day which now I believe she had fever and she slept all day! Also Her behaviors became so weird suddenly. I guess she did had an ongoing illness that escalated once the antibiotics stopped..
She looked so weak so I took her to another vet, he checked her poop again but nothing showed. Anyway he injected 2 antibiotics for her right away and prescribed metronidazole for a week. She’s on day 6 of metronidazole now and seems much better now; although her appetite is not fully back yet but she’s looks way better . Also she has a green watery poop a few times a day, I’m not sure if it’s because not eating much or sth else. Its not neon green as I have seen neon green poop in my other duck before, when she had a severe systemic infection..
Today, again I found a drop of blood in her poop however it was about a needle point but I freaked out. I’m not sure what all these symptoms are but vets have no idea and I can’t keep giving her antibiotics as she was underweight already and has lost another 150 grams during the antibiotics course.
She had started molting before this but I’m not seeing any feather loss anymore, could a disease interrupt molting?😓 and she’s still limping..
I would be grateful to have your help or hear about your similar experiences.

P.S.
I rescued a domestic duck from a pond 4months ago and she lived with us about two weeks. I found worm (no idea what kind) in her poop but I treated her and cookie with levamisole immediately. They had shared food and water once or twice already. I have no idea what diseases could she carry or if there’s any possibility that sth was transmitted to Cookie.

Last edited:
View attachment 2342944
And this is the yellow poop I see occasionally. Those are tomatoes.
First of all stop feeding it tomatoes. They are a nightshade vegetable and are bad for their digestive system. Just go buy regular all flock food. Too much watermelon could be causing the watery poops too because its a diuretic and mostly water. I also find it odd that your vet would say that. Parasite eggs can be seen at even low magnification. If they can see parasites in dog feces they can see them in your birds feces. Sounds to me that they just didnt want to do it.

That does not look right. Do you know if your vet does gram stains or fecal floats, if yes, I would collect a few samples of her poop, and ask for both of them to be done.

Are these red globs in the photo, treats, or is it actual blood/intestinal shed, I also see what looks like it might be a worm in her feces (on the right), can you confirm that?

9-21-2020 12-20-16 PM.jpg

I give her as treats. Pellets are available all the time, but it’s not poultry feed as there’s not a specific duck feed here.
They did checked her feces everytime, but no parasite or yeast were found. They said cocci needs a special examination, and it is not likely that Cookie has it. But I’m still too concerned😓
They saw bacteria but I wanted to know what kind of bacteria exactly they had no idea so they prescribed broad spectrum antibiotics..
Ok then. Fecal float negative. So its not worms. Its the antibiotic. I'm not a vet and I'm assuming you are not either. If you're that concerned talk to the vet. Until the bird finishes the antibiotics the feces will continue to look this way. Antibiotics will kill all bacteria. They arent little soldiers in the blood that pick and choose. Theyre more like barbarians and vikings pillaging your birds intestines. Do what the vet recommended and stop worrying. Again: NO MORE TOMATOES. When you over treat regardless of your good intentions you can do more harm then good.

Some of the best treat both nutritionally and they also get a kick out of playing in is egg yolks. The nutrition can help wonders. phosphorus is also contained in the yolk. It should add the weight back on pretty fast as well. I hope she gets better. It's always rough dealing with sick family members.

I’ve been looking for Mazuri feed for a year now since someone else told me on Instagram but I couldn’t find it anywhere :(
Exactly like Cookie! Lol Most of her favorites are low calorie. She even prefers her low calorie pellets to the layer feed.
I hope I can find the best diet for her🤞🏻
Will Chewy deliver to Iran? https://www.chewy.com/mazuri-waterf...MIg_Tj0NH_6wIVFRLnCh1emwrxEAQYASABEgIY7PD_BwE

Edit: not trying to sound judgy or ignorant. I just am unfamiliar with things overseas.

Last edited:
Because of the sanctions and some policies shipping to Iran is not possible as far as I know. A few months ago I wanted to order Suprelorin which is kind of vital for my duck, and couldn’t :(
I really wished sanctions wouldn’t target drugs and feed especially what’s related to animals..
Why the sanctions? Sorry just really dont know anything about your country and I'm curious. You dont have to answer if you'd rather not talk about it.

Disagreements about nuclear energy and between governments I guess. There were sanctions all the time..
Then there was a deal called JCPOA between some countries and signed by president Obama and by its results some of those sanctions should’ve been lifted. When president Trump was elected he ended the deal and sanctions were back 10x. I have no idea about politics and I don’t know about governments, I’m just a university student
but people’s lives have become miserable and we are under too much pressure.
Feel free to ask anything ❤
Iran is such a beautiful country with a unique history and kind people.
I'm sure it is quite beautiful and nothing like the crap they show us on Fox News. Our news here is so politically motivated and biased. I wish for a world where we can all get along. Its strange that the president lifted it but then you say they were more strict. At any rate I really hope you find a decent diet for your duck. Is he feeling any better?

Hi, I have a 3y.o female pekin called Cookie, she’s my pet duck and lives indoor.
Almost a month ago she suddenly started limping, exactly on the very day that I added levamisole to her water for worming. Her ankle was a little swollen but not like joint swelling, just a spot. I took X-ray from it, it was not injured & I asked for many vets opinions, no one had an answer they just prescribed meloxicam for a few days.
A week later after laying a soft shell egg I saw a drop of blood in her poop and maybe in the 2 or 3 poops after that then it stopped. I took her to vet and they didn’t find anything in her poop just a few but various kinds of bacteria. The vet prescribed Ciprofloxacin for 3days to prevent any possible infection in case there was an internal wound. The day after stopping antibiotics symptoms started, she lost her appetite completely, she became lethargic and looked uninterested, showed respiratory issues, she would pant all day which now I believe she had fever and she slept all day! Also Her behaviors became so weird suddenly. I guess she did had an ongoing illness that escalated once the antibiotics stopped..
She looked so weak so I took her to another vet, he checked her poop again but nothing showed. Anyway he injected 2 antibiotics for her right away and prescribed metronidazole for a week. She’s on day 6 of metronidazole now and seems much better now; although her appetite is not fully back yet but she’s looks better . Also she has a green watery poop a few times a day, I’m not sure if it’s because not eating much or sth else. Its not neon green as I have seen neon green poop in my other duck before, when she had a severe systemic infection..
Today, again I found a drop of blood in her poop however it was about a needle point but I freaked out. I’m not sure what all these symptoms are but vets have no idea and I can’t keep giving her antibiotics as she was underweight already and has lost another 150 grams during the antibiotics course.
She had started molting before this but I’m not seeing any feather loss anymore, could a disease interrupt molting?😓 and she’s still limping..
I would be grateful to have your help or hear about your similar experiences.

P.S.
I rescued a domestic duck from a pond 4months ago and she lived with us about two weeks. I found worm (no idea what kind) in her poop but I treated her and cookie with levamisole immediately. They had shared food and water once or twice already. I have no idea what diseases could she carry or if there’s any possibility that sth was transmitted to Cookie.
The green poop is most likely caused by the antibiotic. I wouldnt be concerned. Why are you worming if she is exclusively an inside bird? As for the limping she probably jumped off something and hurt her leg. Metronidazole can cause the respiratory symptoms you described. Cipro can cause neurological and nerve trouble. I've taken both and I get side effects from both. If you found a worm in the poo then yes deworm them both but have a fecal done. A standard dewormer can sometimes not work if its not the worm you are treating for. Have her eat some yogurt. The antibiotics are killing all the GOOD bacteria as well as the bad.

Back
Top Bottom