Not sure what’s going on

Pics
I have another question
Is this much blood in duck’s poop every once in a while dangerous?
I saw blood in her poop again. I really have no idea what could it be. The vets have no answer as well.
What is intestinal shed? Why does it happen? And how does it look?

View attachment 2350316
I've tried doing some research about intestinal shedding, I didn't know anything about it. Some people say it only happens when a duck is sick, others say it can happen at other times as well. None of these people were vets so I still don't know much. Sorry, it was very inconclusive.

If you lived somewhere wet, like me, I would suggest possible coccidiosis. My other duck, Pigweed keeps getting it and it gives her diarreah. It commonly give blood spots in poop, too, but that hasn't happened with Pig. My vet always does a second type of fecal test to look for it, though. So maybe you should call your vet and ask if they did a test that would find that parasite. Though, with her being inside and it being dry there (it is dry there, right?) I find it unlikely.

I do have an idea about the blood spot though. Does it happen shortly after she lays an egg? Maybe the egg is a little bigger or oddly shaped than normal. In that case it's probably not a big deal.

How is she doing?

I've tried doing some research about intestinal shedding, I didn't know anything about it. Some people say it only happens when a duck is sick, others say it can happen at other times as well. None of these people were vets so I still don't know much. Sorry, it was very inconclusive.

If you lived somewhere wet, like me, I would suggest possible coccidiosis. My other duck, Pigweed keeps getting it and it gives her diarreah. It commonly give blood spots in poop, too, but that hasn't happened with Pig. My vet always does a second type of fecal test to look for it, though. So maybe you should call your vet and ask if they did a test that would find that parasite. Though, with her being inside and it being dry there (it is dry there, right?) I find it unlikely.

I do have an idea about the blood spot though. Does it happen shortly after she lays an egg? Maybe the egg is a little bigger or oddly shaped than normal. In that case it's probably not a big deal.

How is she doing?
Thank you very much for your kindnesses ❤ I really appreciate it!
The weather here is mostly dry, maybe a little rain in autumn and winter. The reason I suspected Coccidiosis in the first place was the rescued duck from pond that lived with us for two weeks. I’m not 100% sure if she had Coccidiosis or carried it. They were apart of course but they shared food and water once or twice. I sanitized everywhere when she went to a new home we found her. Vets thought it’s nearly impossible that she has caught it from her and they claimed if she has cocci she would have lost too much weight by now. (She has lost 250grams but it was right after two rounds of antibiotics .) and they say cocci blood must be in all her poops and constant not a drop or once a week or so. but I’m still concerned about cocci and the vet says the test is complicated and can’t be done! I have no idea
The first time I’ve seen blood was in the poop right after laying, it was a small spot. And the last time was the day before laying. Could it be due to laying!?
She’s been laying malformed eggs for a year now, we don’t know the reason. Some vets say an illness caused this some say a deficiency in her diet. But both say it’s irreversible. In the past year, she has laid just one normal egg.
She didn’t have any pain before but lately the laying process has become painful for her.. I have no idea how to ease her pain nor does the vets.
Can laying or the muscle contractions cause bleeding?
I just wish something like henopause stops egg laying for good! 😢

Last edited:
Have you read this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

#2 Shows blood on the shell but I'm speculating that perhaps if there was a smaller internal rupture or tear it could come into her poop afterward? I am very much guessing. No vet has told me this and I've never seen it happen.

My other duck, Nettle, always lays huge lopsided eggs. Our vet says she has a defective egg shell gland, and likely dormant infectious bronchitis which lives in the egg shell gland. And that there is nothing we can do about either. :-( She's not laying at the moment or I would send you a photo.

Will your vet give you metacam, or something equivalent for pain and inflammation? If laying is painful for her it might help. My duck, Gingersnap, kept getting egg bound and she was on it for months. It is basically ibuprofen for ducks. If they can't cure her maybe they can at least help her be more comfortable.

Have you read this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

#2 Shows blood on the shell but I'm speculating that perhaps if there was a smaller internal rupture or tear it could come into her poop afterward? I am very much guessing. No vet has told me this and I've never seen it happen.

My other duck, Nettle, always lays huge lopsided eggs. Our vet says she has a defective egg shell gland, and likely dormant infectious bronchitis which lives in the egg shell gland. And that there is nothing we can do about either. :-( She's not laying at the moment or I would send you a photo.

Will your vet give you metacam, or something equivalent for pain and inflammation? If laying is painful for her it might help. My duck, Gingersnap, kept getting egg bound and she was on it for months. It is basically ibuprofen for ducks. If they can't cure her maybe they can at least help her be more comfortable.
Thanks for mentioning the thread. I will check it.
So sorry to hear that. Laying a huge egg must be so painful for her :(
Cookie has a defective shell gland too. Most of her eggs doesn’t have yolk, I don’t know which part of the reproductive system is responsible for making yolks but I guess that part doesn’t function so well. She used to lay normal eggs everyday before, I have no idea what happened to both my ducks.
Vets here are not okay with giving metacam or meloxicam for a long period of time. They say using it regularly might cause resistance and cause digestive ulcers. However I bought it over counter and give it to her occasionally. But with laying since its 2 or 3times a week I’m not sure if it’s a right call. Is it okay to give it to her whenever she’s in distress?
Do ducks ever go through menopause?

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning the thread. I will check it.
So sorry to hear that. Laying a huge egg must be so painful for her :(
Cookie has a defective shell gland too. Most of her eggs doesn’t have yolk, I don’t know which part of the reproductive system is responsible for making yolks but I guess that part doesn’t function so well. She used to lay normal eggs everyday before, I have no idea what happened to both my ducks.
Vets here are not okay with giving metacam or meloxicam for a long period of time. They say using it regularly might cause resistance and cause digestive ulcers. However I bought it over counter and give it to her occasionally. But with laying since its 2 or 3times a week I’m not sure if it’s a right call. Is it okay to give it to her whenever she’s in distress?
Do ducks ever go through menopause?
Oh my goodness, poor cookie!!!

My vets always have me give metacam when my birds are in pain. They usually have me give it for a few weeks tops, except for when Ginger was so sick and on it for months. I'm sure there is some risk, but they haven't seemed very worried about it. Maybe your vets know more about Cookie's history and she is particularly vulnerable to the side effects? Do you think the metacam could be responsible for the blood in her poop?

So, Nettle, who lays the huge lopsided eggs is 6.5 and still laying about 3 eggs a week. Except when she is molting or during winter. But she used to lay daily all year!! She's definitely slowing down. I wish they'd just all stop. I hate these reproductive issues. I even had one precious duck die from reproductive cancer and another very loved duck die from egg yolk perontitis. I'd get them all spayed if it were safe. :( I feel like Cookie would be healthier spayed, too, if you had qualified duck vets. It's such a risky procedure, though.

Oh my goodness, poor cookie!!!

My vets always have me give metacam when my birds are in pain. They usually have me give it for a few weeks tops, except for when Ginger was so sick and on it for months. I'm sure there is some risk, but they haven't seemed very worried about it. Maybe your vets know more about Cookie's history and she is particularly vulnerable to the side effects? Do you think the metacam could be responsible for the blood in her poop?

So, Nettle, who lays the huge lopsided eggs is 6.5 and still laying about 3 eggs a week. Except when she is molting or during winter. But she used to lay daily all year!! She's definitely slowing down. I wish they'd just all stop. I hate these reproductive issues. I even had one precious duck die from reproductive cancer and another very loved duck die from egg yolk perontitis. I'd get them all spayed if it were safe. :( I feel like Cookie would be healthier spayed, too, if you had qualified duck vets. It's such a risky procedure, though.
The thing is she didn’t have this much trouble laying a few months ago! I don’t know what has changed :(
Since we started her on calcium syrup laying has doubled.
She’s not usually vulnerable to side effects, our vets are not that experienced about ducks.
I’m so sorry for your losses💔
I hate both reproductive issues and egg laying :( I lost my other duck, Daisy, to reproductive issues .. She was so beautiful and funny, I still miss her. And it was the result of an unnecessary and wrong surgery, performed by a famous vet.
I want nothing more than her being spayed but I can never trust the vets with Cookie.
I hope Nettle stops laying soon❤️ She has a beautiful name by the way! 😍

The thing is she didn’t have this much trouble laying a few months ago! I don’t know what has changed :(
Since we started her on calcium syrup laying has doubled.
She’s not usually vulnerable to side effects, our vets are not that experienced about ducks.
I’m so sorry for your losses💔
I hate both reproductive issues and egg laying :( I lost my other duck, Daisy, to reproductive issues .. She was so beautiful and funny, I still miss her. And it was the result of an unnecessary and wrong surgery, performed by a famous vet.
I want nothing more than her being spayed but I can never trust the vets with Cookie.
I hope Nettle stops laying soon❤ She has a beautiful name by the way! 😍
I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy. :-( I know how you feel, even though it has been over a year since I lost Clover and Plantain to their reproductive issues, I still miss them so much. We tried so hard to save them. But even with knowledgeable avian vets it's really hard sometimes with ducks. Their medical issues have been so stressful and heart breaking.

I really hope Cookie gets better soon. I'm sorry I don't know more to help her. The vets have told me a lot, but I'm usually pretty overwhelmed and can't remember everything.

I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy. :-( I know how you feel, even though it has been over a year since I lost Clover and Plantain to their reproductive issues, I still miss them so much. We tried so hard to save them. But even with knowledgeable avian vets it's really hard sometimes with ducks. Their medical issues have been so stressful and heart breaking.

I really hope Cookie gets better soon. I'm sorry I don't know more to help her. The vets have told me a lot, but I'm usually pretty overwhelmed and can't remember everything.

Thanks! So sorry to hear that😢 reproductive issues are awful and unpredictable...
Thank you very much for your time and effort:love
Tonight it’s the 4th night that Cookie is going to bed soon lol
I’m gonna follow the steps you mentioned.
I really appreciate all the knowledge and experiences you shared with me 🙏

Back
Top Bottom